Baked Oatmeal
  Re: (...)
I made this for breakfast this morning. Makes a huge amount so good for bigger eaters. Also keeps for 7-10 days in the refer or freezes. You could easily make just half the recipe too. Just nuke and add mixins.

I listed options in the notes section on things you can add to it - you could doctor it up any way really. It was the first time making and I just made it plain - which I think I will do again but add the vanilla to the oatmeal mix. My kids like different things mixed in so would probably add those later. I served theirs today with a little extra apple sauce in the bottom of the bowl, the warm oatmeal broken up on top, dried blueberries and a little milk. They really liked it. Will have at least once more this week and probably freeze some. I ate it too and with the milk and eggs, adds protein and just a little really fills you up. Mine I had the applesauce a drizzle of cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Oatmeal

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 Cups oatmeal -- I use old fashioned
1/2 Cups brown sugar
1/2 Cup applesauce
4 whole eggs -- or egg substitute
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Cups Milk

Mix all ingredients together. Bake in a greased 9x 13" pan for 30 minutes
at 350F Keeps in refrigerator 7- 10 days and freezes well in individual
bags.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 177 Calories; 4g Fat (21.0%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 57mg
Cholesterol; 230mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Can add any or all
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
nuts
raisins or craisins
fresh, frozen or dried blueberries.
can use old fashioned or quick cooking oats
serve with dried or fresh fruit - extra milk or yogurt.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Baked Oatmeal by esgunn (I made this for brea...)
Years ago I had a crockpot version of this. You put it in the crockpot the night before and served it in the morning. I used it at our cabin when we had guests. It was a great no-fuss recipe and the smell in the morning along iwth fresh coffee was wonderful.

This recipe looks even better actually. Wish we stil had the cabin.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Baked Oatmeal by luvnit (Years ago I had a cr...)
Having never been an oatmeal eater, does this come out dry and you add milk or what? I know, sad, but I'm from the South...we eat grits...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Baked Oatmeal by Gourmet_Mom (Having never been an...)
It almost comes out like a cake not too dry but it will hold it's shape. If you mixed all the fruits and stuff in before baking you could probably eat it just like that, but my kids like milk and stuff to mix into oatmeal.

You can really mix in what ever you like. Apples, fresh or frozen blueberries, raisins, craisins, pecans, dried blue berries, dried cherries...anything really.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Baked Oatmeal by esgunn (It almost comes out ...)
Thanks for the info. I may have to try that out one of these weekends while it's cold out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Baked Oatmeal by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the info....)
how interesting this sounds - wish I'd known about it when the kids were little for winter breakfasts...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baked Oatmeal by cjs (how interesting this...)
The crock pot method turns out with a stew-like consitancy. Not thick at all. More like the microwave stuff they have these days only with lovely whole oats instead of the ground up quick stuff.

It was really good. MMmmmmm with a little cream and brown sugar on top. Lovely.

My daughter was [still is] an oatmeal lover.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Baked Oatmeal by esgunn (I made this for brea...)
three things I will never eat--fried eggs, liver and OATMEAL! Anything else, I inhale.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Baked Oatmeal by pink_eagle (three things I will ...)
hahahahaha Pink, funny the things we eschew. Cucumber is my chief refusal.
  Re: Re: Baked Oatmeal by pink_eagle (three things I will ...)
Did I miss another "newbie" ??? WELCOME Madeline/pink_eagle to our family!!!! You sure do have the appropriate sense of humor for this crowd!!! You will love it here....hope to see you often!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy