Here is the recipe I promised Cis:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Smoked Fresh Ham

Recipe By :Helen Willinsky
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 pounds fresh ham or Boston butt (6 to 8 lbs)
Jerk Rub recipe
2 cups chablis or other dry white wine
46 ounce can unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 cup lemon juice

Evenly coat the meat with the Jerk Rub. Mix the wine, pineapple juice, and lemon juice, and set aside.

Prepare a charcoal fire in the smoker and let it burn for 10 to 15 minutes. Place the water pan in the smoker, and fill with the pineapple juice mixture. Add enough hot water to fill the pan if necessary.

Place the food in the smoker according to the manufacturer's directions. Cover with the smoker lid and cook for about 3 1/2 hours. Remove the lid and turn the meat. Baste with drippings from the drip pan. If necessary, add more liquid to the water pan. Cover the meat as quickly as possible and continue to cook for 2 to 3 hours, or until done.

Serve hot, if you can. Many people say smoked ham is not as good reheated and will serve leftovers at room temperature. The meat can be sliced or chipped.

Source:
"JERK Barbecue from Jamaica"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : If you use a Boston butt, you will have a meat that is very much like an American barbecue. It is wonderful with the traditional American accoupaniments--deviled eggs, baked beans, potato salad, and corn on the cob. Jamaican accompaniments would be roasted breadfruit and a mango salad.

Smoked meat freezes very well. When I go to the effort to stoke up the smoker, I usually fill it with as much meat as I can get in it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jerk Rub

Recipe By :Helen Willinsky
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Marinades-Seasonings-Rubs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice (Jamaican pimento)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 hot peppers (4 to 6) -- finely ground
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Mix together all the ingredients to make a paste. A food processor fitted with a steel blade is ideal for this. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar for about a month.

Yield:
"1 cup"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Jamaican Smoked Fresh Ham for Cis by bjcotton (Here is the recipe I...)
Gee Billy, this sounds good. I'm gonna have to replace our smoker as the grill just won't hold that low and slow it's supposed to. Copied and saved.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jamaican Smoked Fresh Ham for Cis by Gourmet_Mom (Gee Billy, this soun...)
When you make the Jerk Rub/seasoning Daphne, watch the cayenne since some is hotter than others.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Jamaican Smoked Fresh Ham for Cis by bjcotton (When you make the Je...)
Quote:

When you make the Jerk Rub/seasoning Daphne, watch the cayenne since some is hotter than others.

Cayenne? There's no cayenne listed in the recipe. Just " 4 hot peppers (4 to 6) -- finely ground," and if it is to be anything close to authentic, those peppers should be Scotch Bonnets or Habaneros.

Another tip: The Jamaicans use allspice branches in their cooking wood to impart even more of that wonderful flavour. If you can't get the branches, just toss a bunch of the whole allspice berries into the fire. That's what I do, and it is great!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Jamaican Smoked Fresh Ham for Cis by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I was automatically assuming Billy meant the peppers. I think he knows I don't do REALLY hot stuff. Therefore, I assumed he was warning me about what peppers to use. But thanks Lab! You can keep your Scotch Bonnets and habaneros...I'll stick with jalapenos....and reduce that based on Billy's suggestions. I'm a wimp and he knows it...LOL!

On another note...you mentioned burning a "branch" in the fire. Could I take hotter peppers and put them in the fire and impart the flavor without so much heat? Or would I get the heat that way too? I know...I'm "heat" impaired...LOL! But I'm getting better...at least I'm considering this! The men in the family would love that I try "hotter" stuff...I just can't cook something I'm not going to be able to eat myself.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jamaican Smoked Fresh Ham for Cis by Gourmet_Mom (I was automatically ...)
As far as I know, that would probably impart the heat, as well, but I'm not sure, since I always put plenty of the peppers into the recipe, and have never tried them in the fire.

BTW - not sure if any of you have the restaurant "Bahama Breeze" near you (it's from the same company as Olive Garden and Red Lobster), but if you do, you MUST try their Jerk Wings (i.e. instead of Buffalo Wings). They are just incredible!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Jamaican Smoked Fresh Ham for Cis by labradors (As far as I know, th...)
Ohhh. We have one of those! I will have to try them. Thanks for the tip! They have a wonderful coconut bread pudding. YUM!

You would never know I didn't like coconut as a kid. Who knew - our tastes mature and refine as we get older.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Jamaican Smoked Fresh Ham for Cis by bjcotton (Here is the recipe I...)
GREAT looking recipe Billy!

I have a group for a buffet in ten days or so that this might be perfect for. Most of my local suppliers, grocery stores included, sell ONE ham and it is already smoked. What do you think of rubbing this rub on and finishing in an oven as you heat up a pre-smoked ham?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)