Need Spice Grinder Advice
  Re: (...)
The 800 pound gorilla told me today to get myself a good spice grinder after watching me grind things by hand. What kind should I get? I know nothing except that a Mr. Coffee grinder isn't worth poop!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by bjcotton (The 800 pound gorill...)
I use a Krups electric coffee grinder to do spices in for 14 years now. Works well, has given great service.

If you mean a hand mill, trudeau grinder with the ceramic insert is the way to go. Can handle salt, spice, anything.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by bbally (I use a Krups electr...)
I figured a burr grinder of most any sort was better than that blade Mr. Coffee.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by bjcotton (I figured a burr gri...)
Quote:

I figured a burr grinder of most any sort was better than that blade Mr. Coffee.

Probably, I do finish a lot of spice in the mortar with the pestel so if the burr lets you skip that it may be the way to go. I like the blade, but I mostly crack and toast spices, then finish for what I need them to do.

But if you like toasted spice, I would not rule out the blade!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by bjcotton (I figured a burr gri...)
I use my old Krups for grinding spices. A burr grinder is great for crushing - much like the mortar & pestle. I have an attachment for my immersion blender that is specifically for spices and it's nothing more than a stubby Krups.

Today I made Ras El Hanoush in the Krups - everthing from allspice berries to Nigella and corriander seeds, and lavender to a perfect powder. It's now resting with rose petals. It's especially great for spices right out of the skillet. One thing to keep in mind is that it's harder to clean a burr grinder than the whirly blade one.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by Harborwitch (I use my old Krups f...)
Yep. Krups or Braun.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by labradors (Yep. Krups or Braun...)
Quote:

One thing to keep in mind is that it's harder to clean a burr grinder than the whirly blade one.

Care to elaborate Sharon. What's the difference? And I would prefer the easy clean method. Working full time, I need quick use and easy clean up at my house.

Billy, when you find the right thing, let me know. I've got a recipe that requires grinding dried bay leaves to a powder in a mortar and pestal...won't work for me...I tried everything! And this is a favorite recipe. I finally took a strainer and the mortar and worked it that way...none too successfully I may add. The food processor was useless here. Not to mention, I have a friend's recipe for a pumpkin cheesecake that requires grinding spices...my "old" mortar and pestal just doesn't do it justice!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Daphne it really depends on the type of burr grinder - a good pepper grinder would be fine with a ceramic ginder - but hard to clean between "spice" mixes. I would never ever use my conical burr grinder for anything but coffee.

The whirly blade grinder is so easy - when you're done you just toss in a few bread cubes and grind them - instant clean
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Spice Grinder Advice by labradors (Yep. Krups or Braun...)
Quote:

Yep. Krups or Braun.

Same here!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura