Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Harborwitch ( [b]SEAHAWKS!!!![/b...)
Hey, should this NEW ENGLAND girl stay out of this conversation

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Geez, blue is a challenge...

Blue-corn tortilla chips.

Blueberry [whatever].

Blue crab (in the shell, else the meat is just white).

Blue sports drinks (for some reason, they usually seem to use blue for raspberry).

Blue M&Ms (with some green ones throw in, too, of course).

Blue cheese and [whatever] cordon bleu are only blue in name, and not so much in actual appearance. Then, again, the same could be said for Blue Nun, but I'm sure people wouldn't mind having some sparkling Blue Nun around to be able to toast the winners.

[/blockquote]

Why blue?
I guess I don't go to many superbowl parties. But I have been to a few. Do they make all the food the same color as the teams? I don't recall that. But perhaps the teams I saw were food-colored teams so I didn't notice.

Well, if it has to be blue put some food coloring in the tzatziki sauce!

Oh wait! Now my hubby just told me that the teams have NOT been chosen for the superbowl yet! So the colors may not be blue.

My entire post does not even matter now. Stop reading and just forget I said anything. [Other than the part about the Gyros Bar].
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hello, hello? Laura?? just stay with us here, honey!! big fan, are you?

We've done some fun goodies over the years for superbowl. One year Roy finished off a long plank of wood (about 6' by 6 or 8") and we all made a super burrito - what fun that was. Chili with ALL kinds of toppings; individual muffulettas with a cup of soup; hmmm, I'll have to go look at my old menus...

Now, you have me going - should I have a superbowl party this year???? hmmmmmm

C'mon, PJ throw out your ideas - I'm really torn for next week, I've been a Green Bay fan for so long and now that I'm up here in Seahawk land, I'm trying to switch!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by luvnit (How about a [b]Gyro...)
Quote:

How about a Gyros Bar

Here's the recipe I have used. My Greek friends loved it! Unfortunately, lamb is very difficult to get here, so I haven't made this since I was in the States.

Make Your Own Gyro Meat

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground lamb
  • 1/2 C. very finely chopped (or shredded) onion
  • 2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
  • 3/4 tsp. salt (preferably sea salt)
  • 1/2 tsp. dried ground marjoram
  • 1/2 tsp. dried ground rosemary
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Instructions:
  1. Mix everything together and let sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
  2. Blend in a food processor for about 1 minute. (When cooked, this will help give it a more traditional gyro feel on your palate. Otherwise, it just takes like cooked minced meat.)
  3. Form into an oblong around a spit, and slow cook over a grill for around 30-45 minutes, cooking far from the coals, and rotating slowly. Alternatively, bake in the oven in a meatloaf shape for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, at 325ºF. It should be a bit dry.

Tzatziki Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 500 ml. plain natural or Greek yogurt
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, grated and drained of extra liquid
  • 2-4 cloves of fresh minced garlic.
Instructions
  • Mix together and let sit in fridge until ready to use.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by cjs (Hello, hello? Laura?...)
Quote:

Hello, hello? Laura?? just stay with us here, honey!! big fan, are you?

Thanks for snapping me back to reality Jean

Okay I have a confession. I don't really watch football very often. In fact, I try to avoid watching it. I do like the superbowl and like to watch commercials. During the game I am busy in the kitchen cooking.
Laura
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm not a huge fan, either, of football in general but Picky is. When the Pats are winning, I watch. Which meant I had to watch 16 times this year

If we're in, we'll be eatting shrimp cocktail, clam chowder and lobster rolls. If we're not, it'll be Chinese

PJ

I do like the idea of gyros, been a while since I've done those.
PJ
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by pjcooks (I'm not a huge fan, ...)
Quote:

If we're in, we'll be eatting shrimp cocktail, clam chowder and lobster rolls.

That sounds sooooo good! I love, love, love seafood.

Go Pats!
Laura
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by cjs (Hello, hello? Laura?...)
I have always been a die hard Seahawks fan - Niners, Seahaws, Raiders (urp, small gagging sound), Green Bay, and Redskins.

Laura - we know the Superbowl team hasn't been chosen yet - but we are HOPING.

The blue and green M & M's are a great idea.

We did a smoked lamb and black bean chili one year that was fantastic. I got the recipe from a Bon Appetit so it should still be on Epicurious.

How about a huge "blue" steak salad with bleu cheese crumbles and all the trimmings. It might be weird but you could make 2 batches of bread dough - tint one blue and the other green - and twist them together.

Then there are truly hasselback potatoes - you could call them Hasselbeck potatoes.
Preheat the oven to 375
I'd use small potatoes, peel and put in a bowl of cold water. One potato at a time - place the potato between two chopsticks and make lateral cuts in the potato only down to the chopsticks (like slicking but not all the way through). Return the potatoes to the cold water until they are all done. When they are all done remove them from the water and let them drain upside down for a few minutes.

While the potatoes are soaking mix up some flour, salt, pepper, and finely chopped parsley (and perhaps some finely grated cheese? ). Dredge the drained potatoes in the flour mixture trying to get the flour down in the cracks - spray with a little butter flavored pam or olive oil. Bake on a greased baking sheet until the potatoes are crispy.

(I tried a recipe that sounded good from a google search - it had bread crumbs and 3 tons of garlic - not good, the kitchen stank (and that from a garlic lover) for 3 days and we tossed the potatoes.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Harborwitch (I have always been a...)
Gee, thanks for the input! Laura, your ideas on gyros is great - would it be a real challenge for 40 people or so? Is there a lot of prep that day? I'm trying to avoid that with that many people.

And I never go by color - usually my menu is well-set by the time the teams are decided. But.....go Seahawks!

Any more ideas to peruse?
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Harborwitch (I have always been a...)
I always forget about hasselback (Hasselbeck, I get it!) potatoes, I used to do them often when the kids were small, not so much anymore. I love your idea about the bread dough, Let's see, how to incorporate "nautical" blue, silver, red and white into bread, that could be fun! Seems like a dessert is more in order, now you have me thinking, Sharon! Didn't C@H do a hasselback potato at one time? Seems I remember that~

PJ
PJ