Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by pjcooks (I always forget abou...)
I think so - Bob and I sat and watched Robert Irvine (Dinner Impossible) make them and were facinated. Yummmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by gharborwa (For years I have hos...)
Go Seahawks--since I lived there for so long. I see some good suggestions here. Just happened to get a new cataloge from Williams-Sonoma with "football-game entertaining" on the front cover. Aside from the usual chilli and corn bread, they also suggested New Orleans style "beef po'boys" and "muffulettas" with recipes. I have made both and their recipes look reasonable. Since you're not crazy about pulled pork I would tend to go with the beef po'boys--all can be done ahead and individuals could assemble their own "dressed" sandwich. WS presses the muffulettas which isn't necessary. I would assume their recipes are on the web site or you can do a search on internet. If you end up doing sandwich-type food a great slaw or pasta salad would work well. I have a fabulous pasta salad (with corn, peas and avocado)done 24 hours in advance--will share recipe if you want. Go Seahawks!
Madeline
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by pjcooks (I always forget abou...)
Green eggs and ham, perhaps?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
just had another idea--how about a couple crock-pots of beef stew--lots of meat and veggies.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by pink_eagle (just had another ide...)
Doesn't fit in with the color theme, but you said that didn't matter anyway. If it's cold where you are, I've got my daddy's Brunswick Stew recipe. It makes boat loads and is a perfect do ahead. As a matter of fact, it's really better the next day anyway. Let me know if your interested.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Doesn't fit in with ...)
LOL G.M. I think we are all interested.
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by vannin (LOL G.M. I think we ...)
Here you go...like I said, it makes a lot...LOL! We make it for large parties or make and freeze. He used to make this for special friends when he'd cater a BBQ event.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dad's Brunswick Stew

Recipe By :Henry Hulon Warren
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Pork
Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 whole chickens
3 pounds pork shoulder, butt, R-T-C
3 pounds stew meat
3 pounds pig's feet
3 pounds onion
56 ounces barbecue sauce -- Kraft original recommended
1 pound sugar
10 cloves garlic
10 pounds crushed tomatoes
10 pounds peas
10 pounds corn

Cook meat and onion in two separate pots, one for the boney and one for the boneless. When meat is done, separate from bones and remove pigs feet. Put all in one 5 gallon pot or larger. Drain corn and peas and add to pot. Add tomatoes, sugar, BBQ sauce and other seasonings. Simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours.

Stew yields about 3 gallons. Servings are based on 2 cup portions.

Description:
"This was my Dad's recipe that he used when he catered barbeques. He passed it on to me before Alzheimers during an incredible cooking adventure we had one Thanksgiving Eve."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 523 Calories; 24g Fat (40.6% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 113mg Cholesterol; 554mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I have tried this without the pigs feet and the texture of the stew changes to more of a soup. We prefer it with the pig's feet. I just remove them before adding vegetables. Salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, and tabasco should be added to taste.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Daphne
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Here you go...like I...)
Well, thanks to you and your Father. What a feast.
GharborWA-

My sister lived in Gig Harbor for years and now lives in Tacoma. I love it up there! Congrats on the Seahawks win. It would be fun to see them get in the Superbowl. I'm watching our beloved SD Chargers right now, but we'll just have to see if they can pull off a win.

Our gourmet club is doing a Superbowl party this year and we plan to do a "regional" theme... food featured from whatever areas of the country that the teams come from. If the Patriots make it, it will be easy to do a bunch of New England stuff. If Dallas gets in then it will be easy to add bbq recipes! We're on a wait-and-see right now while we watch the playoffs!

If you're serving that many people, corned beef sandwiches would be great. You can put it all in a crockpot. It might be nice to have three big crockpots (borrow if you need to) and have chili, clam chowder and maybe shredded corned beef for sandwiches. Or you could do a SOUP, STEW & CHILI party. Beer bread is really easy to make too. I have a great recipe for Cheddar Chive Beer bread.

Cheddar Chive Beer Bread

You mentioned that you're doing cookies for dessert. I don't know how you feel about brownies, but I tried the most amazing brownie recipe this year that is made in a jelly roll pan- it serves a TON of people (30 easily). It's the best brownie recipe that I've ever had (so far... I plan to make many more in my lifetime!)

Oreo Chunk Brownies
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by SDRecipeGirl (GharborWA- [br][br]M...)
Quote:

You mentioned that you're doing cookies for dessert. I don't know how you feel about brownies, but I tried the most amazing brownie recipe this year that is made in a jelly roll pan- it serves a TON of people (30 easily). It's the best brownie recipe that I've ever had (so far... I plan to make many more in my lifetime!)

Oh no my friend....there is NO way this recipe could beat your Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe! MMMMMMM! OH MY! I have been made to SWEAR not to make these again until at least Valentine's Day!
Daphne