Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by firechef (Here's my Super Bowl...)
Quote:

Here's my Super Bowl menu...a pizza from the local convenience store (best pizza I have EVER had and it comes from a GAS STATION...go figure!)

Hmmm....What kind of oil did they use in the dough? 10W40?

Actually, a Super-Bowl party may be just the time to try the following oddity that was originally mentioned in my "Going Bananas" thread:

SAUSAGES BAKED IN BANANAS

8 bananas, unpeeled
8 to 16 link sausages

Slit each banana lengthwise from tip to tip to form a pocket, being careful not to cut through the skin on the under side. Place 1 or 2 link sausages in the opening of each banana. Arrange bananas in baking dish, slit side up and bake in moderate oven (375 deg) about 15 to 20 minutes. Serves 8.

To brown sausages, place under broiler 2 or 3 minutes after baking, or fry until light brown before inserting into bananas for baking.

It is an odd combination, but I just had to try it. I made some loose (not link) sausage using a "Jimmy Dean" copycat recipe, and just used that. It was delicious!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by firechef (Here's my Super Bowl...)
LOL LJ, apparently the best fried chicken in his town is made at the gas station.

OK, now that I know there's a game Sunday, this is what I will make. It's from the new Food and Drink issue.

Fully Loaded Potato Skin Cakes

These cakes have all the flavour of potato skins, and can be made ahead, perfect for a crowd. Form and pan-fry the cakes ahead of time, then warm them for about 10 minutes in a pre-heated 375 oven before serving.

12 slices bacon
2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
4 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cupd shredded old cheddar cheese
3 green onions, thinly sliced
Pepper to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Sour cream and salsa, optional

Cook bacon in skillet until crispy. Drain and set aside.

Place potatoes and garlic in large pot of cold water and bring to boil. Boil until tender. Drain well, return to pot, mash potatoes and garlic, and let cool a little.

Add cheese to pot and mash to combine. Crumble bacon and stir into potatoe mixture.

Add green onions and pepper to taste. Add flour and egg, and stir until smooth and thick.

Dust hands lightly with flour, and using a 1/2 cup measure of mixture, form patties 1/2 thick, and 2 inches wide. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.

Heat some of the oil in a large, non stick skillet over medium high heat and fry patties in batches, about 3 minutes per side, turning once gently with spatula or until golden brown and crispy. Place on paper lined plate.

Arrange cakes on platter, and serve with sour crean and salsa.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Lorraine (LOL LJ, apparently ...)
Lorraine, Those sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by esgunn (Lorraine, Those sou...)
oh my, they sure do!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by cjs (oh my, they sure do!...)
Yes, copied and pasted. Lorraine's Fully Loaded Potato Skin Cakes became my 1,000,000th 'must try' recipe.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[Actually, a Super-Bowl party may be just the time to try the following oddity that was originally mentioned in my "Going Bananas" thread:

SAUSAGES BAKED IN BANANAS

8 bananas, unpeeled
8 to 16 link sausages

Slit each banana lengthwise from tip to tip to form a pocket, being careful not to cut through the skin on the under side. Place 1 or 2 link sausages in the opening of each banana. Arrange bananas in baking dish, slit side up and bake in moderate oven (375 deg) about 15 to 20 minutes. Serves 8.

To brown sausages, place under broiler 2 or 3 minutes after baking, or fry until light brown before inserting into bananas for baking.

It is an odd combination, but I just had to try it. I made some loose (not link) sausage using a "Jimmy Dean" copycat recipe, and just used that. It was delicious!

Now THAT sounds like an interesting recipe to try! I will have to do that sometime. Did the sausages taste like banana? or still like sausages?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
No fair Lorraine! I cry foul...I've got my menu set for the weekend! Geez, back to square one. I think the Black Dog chowder just got benched. With the weather getting dicey around here, I may not be able to go into "town" after all...that means no clams.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

Now THAT sounds like an interesting recipe to try! I will have to do that sometime. Did the sausages taste like banana? or still like sausages?

It's hard to describe, but neither particularly overwhelmed the other. Instead, it was an interesting blending of their respective flavours. I hadn't been expecting much, but was quite surprised how they complemented each other.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Gourmet_Mom (No fair Lorraine! I...)
No fair Lorraine! I cry foul...I've got my menu set for the weekend! Geez, back to square one.

hehehe Jean always told me, decide on your menu, then carve it in stone. I have tons of stone tablets in the basement. ;smirk:
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Need Ideas for Super Bowl Menu by Lorraine (No fair Lorraine! I ...)

Anyone agree this thread is getting so long, it's a pain the the butt to find any of the great ideas?? Can we start another one?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com