Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen
  Re: (...)
Hi everyone! I just learned about this forum today and I'm so happy to find you! I absolutely L-O-V-E Cuisine magazine and give gift subscriptions every year.

I have a friend who loves Boston Cream Pie. Every year I make this for her birthday using the recipe in Cuisine from several years ago (it has a layer of chocolate cake that is a real treat!). The latest issue has Boston Cream cupcakes that will be even more popular because it's hard for her to eat the entire cake in a short time.

Question - do you think the cupcakes can be frozen? I worry most about the pastry cream and get mixed ideas when I google (most say "don't do it" but a few say it's ok). What is your experience?

Thank you for your help!
Cindy
  Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by idahocook (Hi everyone! I just...)
Welcome Cindy! I don't have the answer to your question, but I wanted to welcome you. I'm new too. I do have an "old" friend who works in a bakery that may have your answer if noone comes up with it. I hope she will be joining soon, but if she doesn't, I'll contact her for her opinion if you'd like.

Personally, I don't think it would thaw well...too much moisture in the custard in the middle. I would think it would "seep" out into the cake upon thawing. One suggestion, if you don't get a response...if you have a bakery or donut shop nearby...buy a custard filled donut, like an eclair...heck buy two and eat one...LOL...then freeze one. Thaw it and see what happens.

Otherwise, I'd suggest making a batch and sharing with a number of friends and making a lot of people happy. I hope it works out for you. I know the ideal would be if they would freeze and your friend could have her favorite treat whenever she wants. Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome Cindy! I do...)
I haven't taken a look at the recipe, but I love your idea Daphne. I wonder if it'd be possible to freeze the parts except for the custard and assemble when ready?
Cis
OH ps Welcome
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by farnfam (I haven't taken a lo...)
Both are excellent ideas that I'll try if no one has the answers. Thank you so much for responding. I am really looking forward to being involved in this forum!!
  Re: Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by idahocook (Both are excellent i...)
Welcome Cindy!! I'd sure be hesitant to freeze the made cupcakes, but maybe someone will know for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by cjs (Welcome Cindy!! I'd ...)
I could say that I will make them and freeze them and let you know. But those would never make it to the freezer in this house... they would be GONE!---------------
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by idahocook (Hi everyone! I just...)
I'm so sorry for not welcoming you sooner, Cindy, I'm trying to catchup on everything I've ben missing the last few days!

Have fun here and visit us often

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by pjcooks (I'm so sorry for not...)
WELCOME Cindy/idahocook----wonderful to have you join our little (AND GROWING!!!!) family......don't be a stranger!!

C@H is one of my favorites....if not THE favorite!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by pjcooks (I'm so sorry for not...)
I stayed with relatives in the South Island 50 years ago. They were farmers, and had huge freezers in their storeroom. Since they were very much out way in the sticks they seldom went to 'town'. Thus those freezers were very much in use even though there was little frozen food available here then.

They were sheep farmers, so there was a lot of meat there, including swapped beef. Milk and cream were frozen by the crate, Bread by the tray, butter by the (it seemed to me) by the ton, and veggies by the million. They grew their own. But the real fascination was trays and trays of baked goods, including butterfly cup cakes, ready assembled and filled with fresh whipped cream. It was impossible to tell they had been frozen on thawing. Goodness, those men did eat. Just tea, bread and butter at 5am, then back at 7.30am for breakfast. lamb chops, steaks, hams, chooks cooked in halves, bacon, sausages. Hot scones, (made fresh, not from the freezer), butter slabs, jams, golden syrup, eggs every way, baked tomatoes, or stewed, mushrooms, pints of baked beans, potato cakes, it seemed endless. My sister and I had never seen anything like it. All meals seemed the same, gargantuan.

Buried somewhere in this mess may be the answer to the question, but thinking back, I don't know how come the cream did not separate. So I have that question of my own.
  Re: Re: Can the Boston Cream Cupcakes be frozen by vannin (I stayed with relati...)
LOL, Dale that's a hilarious story! It boogles the mind. My mother grew up on a farm and they had big meals, and continued to do so when I was a child. There always seemed to be a crowd around, but this one's a topper...LOL!

Somewhere in there, I think you said they had butterfly cupcakes filled with whipped cream in the freezer. Hmmm? Not custard, but it would add moisture on thawing, too. Maybe the trick would be to freeze one and see how it goes?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.