I need a bigger bookcase!
  Re: (...)
We've been busy around here! Been doing the video for the APPCA home study course, getting all of my licensing paperwork in order, and have started reading about home offices.

Yesterday I was browsing around on Amazon and found "The Food Lover's Companion" (soft cover) and "Making Classical and Contemporary Sauces" (hard cover) by Peterson. Total investment under 30.00 including shipping.

We're thinking of taking the den and moving all the "family" stuff out and just making it into my "office" and putting all my cookbooks, magazines, etc. in here. It will be fun putting it all together and motivate me to get organized.

Jean, I gave Francois the word Partager to play with - and he came up with "Le Partage" as the business name. Bob wasn't real thrilled - but now he just loves it.

He was having so much fun in the kitchen the other day that I commented that maybe we ought to send him to Culinary school - you should have seen the grin on his face. "Yup, I could stand to improve my knife skills" he said. LOL

Ah, yes - moving ahead!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by Harborwitch (We've been busy arou...)
Sharon, you're going to LOVE the Peterson book! I'm having to take it slow...it's sooo much information!

So does Le Partage have a translation?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, you're going...)
Jean found the word "partager" which is the the French verb meaning "to share". Le Partage literally means "the sharing" or loosely "the act of sharing"

The logo will have copper foiled pots and pans - on a cream stock.

I'm looking forward to both books, especially the sauce book. Actually there were a couple other books by Peterson that I was thinking about - but not all at once.
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by Harborwitch (Jean found the word ...)
I love the name, Sharon!! Maybe a culinary school will give you and Bob a twofer... You sure won't be sorry with those two books.

Moving right along, aren't you?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by cjs (I love the name, Sha...)
Thank you! We love it too.

That's a hoot - twofer! LOL Who knows. I recorded an Alton Brown knife skill show for us to both watch.

Must find a knife sharpener here in town - my Santoku took a flying leap off the counter last night and bent the point! I was chasing the Pugs out of the kitchen just before it happened - thank God!!
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by Harborwitch (Thank you! We love ...)
I really like the name too Sharon. An office! Cool! I need one of those!

Sounds like you are having fun with it too. You go girl!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by luvnit (I really like the na...)
Sharon, go the way most chefs do (or at least think about it ) - get a good stone for sharpening and a good steel to keep them sharp. You can't beat this method. (IMO only)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by cjs (Sharon, go the way m...)
Someplace in the garage I have an oil stone, and a whetstone and we've got our steels - but this knife has a dimple in the point! Geeze. Oh, and we have a delightful sharpener that Billy gave us.
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by Harborwitch (Someplace in the gar...)
Although I live with two hunters who keep their own knives sharp, it has taken a while to get mine sharpened. A former employee who used to clean fish at the docks for a living has come back to work for William. Thank goodness, he comes to the lake from time to time and he brought his sharpening stones with him the last time he came. One of the best presents I got for xmas. And this is the gift that keeps on giving...LOL! He made me SWEAR I wouldn't come after him if I cut off a digit when he finished...LOL!

Sadly, my Santuko that I got last xmas ('06) has met with an unfriendly user....HMMM? He's going to have to take that one back to Southport to get it back in shape.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I need a bigger bookcase! by Gourmet_Mom (Although I live with...)
I'm heartbroken because it's my santoku - darn near the only knife I use any more. I found a sharpening service and hope that he can fix it.

When we lived on the Delta the local grocery store would sharpen knives for customers - free!! Gee I miss small town life.