sweet and sour scallops
  Re: (...)
Please help me.......a few months ago I asked for the above recipe and was sent it. The home chronic recipe loser has lost it on me. Anyone know what issue it is in or can someone e-mail it to me?????

Thanks so much.
  Re: sweet and sour scallops by Nanner (Please help me.........)
Nanner, there are 12 recipes in the C@H archives, but none that look like sweet & sour...and I don't come up with anything for 'sweet and sour scallops' in the search here on the forums. Is there another name or maybe some of the ingredients???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: sweet and sour scallops by cjs (Nanner, there are 12...)
There is a sweet and sour scallops in Weeknight Menu Vol II. Is that the one?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: sweet and sour scallops by esgunn (There is a sweet and...)
Here is the recipe

For the Sauce
Combine:
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 T sriracha sauce
2 T sugar
2 T ketchup
1 T hoisin sauce
1 T Fresh ginger, minced
1 T garlic minced

For the scallops-
Dust with; FRy in 3 T peanut oil
1 1/4 lb sea scallops
3 T. cornstarch

Add; Stir in:
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
1 Cup red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 cup sugar snap peas, blanched
Cooked scallops
Sauce mixtue
Serve Over: Garnish with:
Cooked white rice
Thinly sliced scallions
Chopped cashews

Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a bowl, set aside.

Dust scallops with cornstarch. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high until hot. Fry scallops until golden brown on both sides, then transfer to a peper towel-lined plate.

Add pineapple, bell pepper, add peas. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, then stir in scallops and sauce mixture, bring to a simmer, and cook 2 minutes more.
Serve scallops over rice: garnish with scallions and cashews.

Sorry for any typos, no proofing today- just had a minute between phonics and science and while my tea brewed!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: sweet and sour scallops by esgunn (Here is the recipe[b...)
Quote:

2 T sriracha sauce

Ooooh! I love Sriracha! Pitty this recipe is for scallops. Well, that doesn't mean I HAVE to use the sauce from the recipe with scallops. I'll need to try this with something else.

BTW, for other Sriracha lovers out there, try baking some chicken wings at 350F for about 25 minutes, then brushing them with a mixture of Sriracha and melted butter, and cooking them about another ten minutes (of course, making sure the chicken is done). It makes for great hot wings!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: sweet and sour scallops by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
What is sriracha sauce and where you do you buy it? I've never used it, but this recipe sounds really good. Thanks, Erin!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
My hubby really likes Sriracha Sauce - chicken sauce - because of the brand we use the most has a chicken or a rooster on the front.

I am not a scallop fan either - thought I might try on chicken or pork.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: sweet and sour scallops by Mare749 (What is sriracha sau...)
Quote:

What is sriracha sauce and where you do you buy it?

Sriracha is a brand of hot sauce produced by Huy Fong Foods. It is an American company, based in California, but founded and operated by a Vietnamese immigrant.

If you have ever eaten in a Vietnamese restaurant in the U.S., there is a good chance there was a bottle of Sriracha on the table. The real Sriracha comes in a clear bottle (which appears to be red because of the colour of the sauce inside), with a green top, with a picture of a rooster on the front.

[Image: srirachapa8.jpg]

Of course, in those restaurants, one stirs it into one's soup or Phở, but it is excellent in just about anything: for hot wings, in eggs, in hamburgers, etc.

Fortunately for me, one of the local supermarkets started carrying it about six months ago, and I am making sure I always have some on hand.

In the U.S., some stores keep it with Tabasco, and other such sauces, but some keep it in their "ethnic" or Asian aisle. If you can't find it in a regular supermarket, try an Asian supermarket - they are almost certain to have it. When I was still in the States, I used to buy it at Super WalMart (in the Asian section).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I'm another fan of Sriracha - always have it on hand.

Here's a sauce recipe from an old friend - Mike Rodman (Rods84), anybody remember him? I sure miss him! I've made this once, probably about 3 years ago and if I remember right, we loved this on just about everything

SPICY BASIL ROUILLE

3/4 c fresh breadcrumbs from a baguette
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 Tbsp water
3 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp Asian Chili sauce (sriracha)
6 leaves basil
1 oz jar diced pimentos, undrained
3 Tbsps EVO

Soak breadcrumbs in egg & water.
Mash garlic to a paste with sea salt, using a mortar & pestle. (Or mash w/heavy knife and work together)
Add moistened breadcrumbs & mash into a garlic paste.

Transfer the paste to a mini-food processor.
Add basil leaves, chili sauce & pimentos. Pulse till smooth.
Add oil in a slow stream while pulsing, till emulsified.
Chill.
Yield:
"1 c"

Serving Ideas : ---
Can use with just about anything - dip shrimp, smear on a catfish sandwich, add to anything - it's wonderful!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, now I know what you are talking about. I just think of that as the hot chili sauce that I drizzle on a hot bowl of pho. Good stuff.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."