Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon!
  Re: (...)
I've seen this book "The New Professional Chef" listed on many must have lists and found a 1996 copy for what appears to be a very good price.

Do I need this book? Is it a good reference?? Will Bob want to whap me over the noggin with the book for buying one more d@#% book?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon! by Harborwitch (I've seen this book ...)
Have not heard of this one but did see there is a new version of the Food Lovers Companion out. Sure my 2001 copy is new to me but this is a 2006 Fourth Edition! Holly just wants to know what could have changed in 5 years...I told her EVERYTHING!!!

She is "anti-cookbook" as she says I can get it all online...bummer

If it was me Harborwitch...I'd buy the book as long as it doesn't land you in bankruptcy or divorce court!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon by firechef (Have not heard of th...)
Sharon, is this what was "The Professional Chef," by the CIA? If so, I have the 7th edition, out in 2002. IF, it's a good price, I'd go ahead, but '96 is a long time ago....

I love my edition and use often.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon by cjs (Sharon, is this what...)
Yes, it's by the CIA - and yes 96 is a long time ago - perhaps I should wait for a newer version??? I'm a patient woman (ssssshh! )

I must be lucky - Bob is so supportive; and on the days when I go ride around with him while he makes his service calls he likes me to bring a cookbook and read to him while he drives!
  Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon! by Harborwitch (I've seen this book ...)
Sharon, you might want to try your library. Check the book out and see if you would want it in your collection. Often I find that there only a few things from a book that I want or need. If there is more than that, perhaps it would be a good investment for you.

And remember, save your receipts. You can probably write these off at the end of the year for your business. In our state, we can write off business expenses whether operating as a DBA, LLC or CORP. Check what benefits you may have in your state.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon! by luvnit (Sharon, you might wa...)
That's a good idea.

I'm hanging on to all my receipts now!
  Re: Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon by Harborwitch (That's a good idea. ...)
Yes, even my food magazines were deductible.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon by cjs (Yes, even my food ma...)
As is your library fee!

I just looked at mine, I have the 5th Edition so I'm a few years behind.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon by bjcotton (As is your library f...)
Quote:

As is your library fee!

Fee? For the library? Do you have a library fee in your state? Or did I misunderstand Billy's message?

Our libraries here are free - no fee.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Another book - do I need it?? Need answer soon by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
In some places they do charge an annual fee or one time fee for the use of a library. Sometimes culinary schools will give people access to their libraries for a small "donation".

Where I lived in Phoenix we had a County Library that charged an annual fee and a City Library that was free...the county one had more bells, whistles and BOOKS and Magazines and all sorts of other medias available.

It is cheaper than a bookstore but you can't keep them unless you are a bad sharer....
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)