Portion Control - Made Easy!
  Re: (...)
Portion control is usually my downfall. I found this nifty little gadget in newspaper today and immediately went out and bought it. It is called Meal Measure

Simply place the Meal Measure disc on your plate [it's about 3" high and about 7" across) and fill up each circle with the appropriate fruits, veggies and a starch and protein... then... lift up the disk and your plate is perfectly portioned. This is really a clever gadget! Top right picture show Meal Measure on the plate filled with portions. Bottom shows once the Meal Measure portioner has been removed.

I took a photo of what it looks like on one of my own plates at an angle so you can see what it looks like. Each circle hold 1 cup and has a line inside to show a 1/2 cup portion.

Their website is www.mealmeasure.com

[Image: mealmeasure.jpg]

[Image: full4.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by luvnit (Portion control is u...)
Pretty nifty gadget. Unfortunately, my doctor has told me that at my age I need to rethink my portions. He told me to picture my plate divided into one half and two fourths. The half should hold my veggies and/or fruit. The two fourth portions are left for my starch and protein.

One thing I have found helpful is using a smaller plate and let the largest portion be for my green and the rest for my starch and protein....and not go back for seconds. Do I do this every time....LOL! NO! But I do try most of the time. Unfortunately, hubby goes back for seconds EVERY time, piles all he can on that little plate, and blames ME! "Well if you wouldn't cook all this stuff, I wouldn't WANT seconds!"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by Gourmet_Mom (Pretty nifty gadget....)
Well actually this would be 2 portions of veggies, one starch and one protein. So 1/2 your plate is veggies, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch. This also just keeps each portion in either 1 cup or 1/2 cup sizes (depending on your activitiy level and body type). It's just too easy to give a little extra on each portion adn pretty soon you are gaining weight. I thought this would be helpful when portioning and freezing leftovers for portion-controlled lunches.

My hubby goes for seconds all the time too. He still never gains an ounce. Life is just not fair
Laura
  Re: Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by luvnit (Well actually this w...)
Pretty neat idea...if I take three of those and pile them on top of each other...

Just kidding...I'll be so glad when summer comes and I can go for walks with Holly and the baby. Too cold and icy now...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by firechef (Pretty neat idea...i...)
what a great idea, Erin! That certainly should help folks learn their portions.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by cjs (what a great idea, E...)
Quote:

My hubby goes for seconds all the time too. He still never gains an ounce. Life is just not fair

Give it time Erin...LOL! My hubby used to be the same way...no more! "Tiiiimeeee, is on my side...yes it its." (Oddly enough, this song portion just came on tv...LOL!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Quote:

what a great idea, Erin! That certainly should help folks learn their portions.

Quote:

Give it time Erin...LOL! My hubby used to be the same way...no more! "Tiiiimeeee, is on my side...yes it its." (Oddly enough, this song portion just came on tv...LOL!)

Am I missing something? Who is Erin?
Laura
  Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by luvnit (Portion control is u...)
Picky calls me the gadget queen, 'cause I've been known to try just about anything, but I think I'll pass the title onto you, Laura! Of course, I'm the one who still uses those 3 section depression glass plates for portion control
Just teasing, couldn't resist!!!

PJ

I like the idea of freezing portion controlled meals. Would be great for my diabetic, almost daughter-in-law.
  Re: Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Laura - Erin is the mom of the triplets. username is esgunn. I get confused on screen names and usernames, too.
  Re: Re: Portion Control - Made Easy! by HomeCulinarian (Laura - Erin is the ...)
Quote:

Laura - Erin is the mom of the triplets. username is esgunn. I get confused on screen names and usernames, too.

Oh I see... I was trying to figure out who Erin was on this thread. I thought I was missing something when people were commenting back to Erin. Now I KNOW I was missing something

I didn't see that she commented on this thread at all. Or can I not see her posts?
Laura