gnocchi
  Re: (...)
I'm thinking about trying to make gnocchi for the first time. There was a good article and recipe in another magazine that I get which gave me the "urge" to try it. Anybody her have some tips or warnings? Do we have any gnocchi experts?
Shirley
  Re: gnocchi by smschwag (I'm thinking about t...)
I know it has several prounounciations - we say noh key. And I have never made it but have enjoyed my MIL and GMIL's efforts many times. Googled it and found this video about how to make them. I especially like the dancing, singing chef at the beginning.

How to Make Gnocchi
Here's a C@H recipe for you to try.

Potato Gnocchi with Fresh Tomato Sauce
(Cuisine, February 1998, Issue 7, p. )

Makes: 100 Pieces + 5 Cups Total Time: 2 Hours 15 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Potato Gnocchi —
Bake, Peel, and Rice:
2 lbs. russet potatoes

Combine with:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 t. kosher salt

Knead in:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Garnish with:
Parmesan cheese, shredded

For the Fresh Tomato Sauce —
Saute:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion

Add and Saute:
1 T. minced garlic

Add and Cook over Medium Heat:
6 cups Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade
1 t. salt

Related Recipes:

Fresh Tomato Sauce

Bake potatoes at 400° for 50 minutes, or until fork-tender. Peel potatoes, then press them through a ricer.

Combine hot potatoes, 1 1/2 cups flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir with wooden spoon until ingredients are well mixed. Turn mixture onto lightly floured surface.

Knead in just enough remaining 1/4 cup flour to make a smooth dough that isn't very sticky. Test dough to make sure it has enough flour. (See tip box, right.) Roll pieces of dough into 3/4"-thick ropes. Cut ropes into 3/4" pieces. Place piece of cut dough on fork. Press with thumb to indent one side and create ridges on other. Roll ends up until they almost touch. Cook gnocchi in batches — don't overcrowd. Use a large pot with salted water just under a boil. Cook until they float — about 2 minutes.

Saute onions for the Fresh Tomato Sauce in olive oil for 5 minutes.

Add garlic and tomatoes. Simmer 30 minutes. Run through food mill.

Add basil and salt. Serve over gnocchi.

Garnish with cheese.

Nutrition Information (Per 10 pieces with 1/4 cup sauce):
192 calories 17% calories from fat 4g total fat 280mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

I haven't tried this yet, maybe someone else here has and will jump in.

PJ
PJ
Found you another, this one is a little different.

Baked Semolina Gnocchi
(Cuisine, February 1998, Issue 7, p. 14)

Makes: 6 Servings Total Time: 2 Hours 25 Minutes Rating: Advanced

Bring to Simmer:
4 cups 2% milk

Add:
3 T. unsalted butter
1/2 t. salt
Dash white pepper
Dash ground nutmeg

Whisk in:
1 cup ground semolina

Cool, then Add:
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 T. 2% milk
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Spread, Chill and Cut Out. Place in Baking Dish. Drizzle with:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Sprinkle with:
2 T. fresh sage chiffonade

Combine and Top Semolina with:
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 T. Parmesan cheese, grated
1 T. unsalted butter, melted

Bring milk to simmer in 3-quart saucepan until steaming.

Add butter, salt, and pepper. Scrape whole nutmeg with a paring knife to add fresh bits. Stir until butter is melted.

Whisk in semolina in a slow, steady stream, constantly whisking. Rapidly bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook 15 minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Cool mixture, then add egg yolks and milk. Add 3/4 cup Parmesan and egg mixture to semolina. Stir until smooth.

Spread mixture 1/2" thick in a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the rubber scraper with cooking spray to keep it from sticking. Chill for 1-2 hours. Cut with 2" round cookie cutter. Arrange rounds in a buttered 2-quart casserole dish at an angle, see right. Drizzle with 1/4 cup butter.

Sprinkle sage over gnocchi.

Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the entire casserole. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden. The bottom stays moist and the top gets crusty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com

I'll stop now

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: gnocchi by pjcooks (Found you another, t...)
I make them using riccotta and a Biba Caggiano recipe. Will post if you're interested. Quite simple really. My only advice would be don't over mix or add too much flour.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: gnocchi by farnfam (I make them using ri...)
Maryann, which book of Biba's - I have one or two (can't remember)...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: gnocchi by cjs (Maryann, which book ...)
Jean, that was Cis that said she uses Biba's recipe. I have made them a few times, also using ricotta. I thought it was actually quite easy and they sure are tasty.

Also made them once with semolina, but didn't like them as well. They were okay, just not great, IMHO.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: gnocchi by Mare749 (Jean, that was Cis t...)
If you boil the potatoes do not peel and cut them. Boil them whole.

I also found that once I made the gnocchi I put them into the freezer before cooking them. They came out so much better.
  Re: Re: gnocchi by DFen911 (If you boil the pota...)
"Jean, that was Cis that said she uses Biba's recipe." geez, see what food deprivation will do to the mind????
(that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Cis, what Biba book was it?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: gnocchi by farnfam (I make them using ri...)
Cis, I would be interested in the one using ricotta. If it's not too much trouble to post it, I would sure appreciate it.
Shirley