Do they think we are made of money???
  Re: (...)
I was looking for the topic posted right after the new C@H came out about the value of the chefs favorite kitchen equipment but I couldn't find it. This would fit that topic.
I saved a recipe from Tyler's Ultimate for Amarone Osso Bucco and thought I would like to try it. I have made Osso Bucco before but I thought this recipe sounded special. BOY IS IT SPECIAL!!! Yesterday at the store I was looking for the Amarone wine that the recipe called for. I had browsed the wines a couple of times in the past looking for it but I decided to really check into it this time. I went to the wine clerk and asked about the wine. He wasn't sure about it so he made a phone call and found out what it was and where it was. They had 4 bottles of it ranging in price from $84.00 down to $45.00 each. I decided that since I don't spend that much for the wine I drink I sure wasn't going to spend that much for a wine that I put in Osso Bucco. Does he really think that we can afford that kind of wine to use as an ingredient? Do you use that expensive a wine to cook with?
Shirley
  Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by smschwag (I was looking for th...)
Quote:

They had 4 bottles of it ranging in price from $84.00 down to $45.00 each. I decided that since I don't spend that much for the wine I drink I sure wasn't going to spend that much for a wine that I put in Osso Bucco. Does he really think that we can afford that kind of wine to use as an ingredient? Do you use that expensive a wine to cook with?

I agree. That's ridiculous! I'd say that's "Special" alright!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Throw in the cost of the lamb shanks and you have a meal that would be impossible to sell in a restaurant. Look at things like truffle oil and truffles...winter white truffles were going for about $1,200.00 a pound! Even an ounce is expensive.

I wonder how these "famous" Chefs manage to sell some of these creations in their restaurants? If they are putting out recipes that cost hundreds of dollars to prepare at home you know they can't afford to take that kind of a loss on a meal in the restaurant world so they MUST have a "cheaper" way to make these things...right??

Now if we find out what that is and a whole new world could be opened up to us on budgets...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by firechef (Throw in the cost of...)
We only buy Amarone for very special occasions, and, although I believe in cooking with a wine we would drink, Im not using that wine in a dish. Well, unless it was only a tablespoon.

LJ, great to see you here!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by smschwag (I was looking for th...)
CI had this to say about using inexpensive boxed wine.

"To find out if boxed wine belongs in the kitchen, we tasted an array of boxed varietals ranging in price from $12.99 to $19.99 for three- or five-liter boxes, including Shiraz, Merlot, and Burgundy. As a control, we included a $10 bottle of the Cotes du Rhone we often use in the test kitchen for cooking. Sampled fresh out of the box, some of the wines did not impress, tasting sweet, simple, and sangria-like. But others were quite good, and tasters actually preferred them to the bottled wine. For the next test, we used each of the wines in our Modern Coq au Vin (page 19) and a red wine pan sauce. To our surprise, all of the sauces-even those made with the wines we didn't like straight from the box-were fine"

Is this any help to you?

PJ

And, I use boxed wines for cooking all the time.
PJ
  Re: Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by Lorraine (We only buy Amarone ...)
Hi Lorraine...they decided a class clown was needed so I was invited.

Pleasant to see so many familiar faces mixed in with all the new "friends" I've made so far.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by firechef (Hi Lorraine...they d...)
I admit, over the years I have splurged on an expensive ingredient and sometimes I've been happy and sometimes didn't think it was worth it.

To me, I guess it's a matter of priorities - trying dishes is one of the most important and enjoyable treats in my life - we don't go to bars, we drive cars till they tell us to get over them, we don't go out much(movies, restuarants, concerts (miss that), etc.), so this is the way we splurge.

Some of the boxed wines I won't drink or use to cook with -Franzia, forget it! But, I do like using Black Box cab or merlot. For white, I usually use Noilly Prat (vermouth) unless a particular wine is called for and I think it might make a difference.

Hey, welcome back, Lorraine!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by pjcooks (CI had this to say a...)
Quote:

CI had this to say about using inexpensive boxed wine.

"To find out if boxed wine belongs in the kitchen, we tasted an array of boxed varietals ranging in price from $12.99 to $19.99 for three- or five-liter boxes, including Shiraz, Merlot, and Burgundy. As a control, we included a $10 bottle of the Cotes du Rhone we often use in the test kitchen for cooking. Sampled fresh out of the box, some of the wines did not impress, tasting sweet, simple, and sangria-like. But others were quite good, and tasters actually preferred them to the bottled wine. For the next test, we used each of the wines in our Modern Coq au Vin (page 19) and a red wine pan sauce. To our surprise, all of the sauces-even those made with the wines we didn't like straight from the box-were fine"

Is this any help to you?

PJ

And, I use boxed wines for cooking all the time.

Interesting PJ. I am glad you said that. We usually had spent under $10 for everyday table wine. We recently decided that we liked more of the $12-$16 bottles now for having with meals. And recently, upon a recommendation of a colleague, my husband purchased an $18-20 bottle of wine and I didn't care for it any better than the cheaper wine we had already. I do use the same wine for cooking that I purchase because I have now heard (too many times to count), "If you wouldn't drink it, don't put it in your food."

This gives me some perspective. We used to purchase boxed wines all the time and they were fine, most of the time. I will have to look into them again. Is there a brand you like? Do you use a red and white?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
A note on the Amarone....you can definitely find a cheaper bottle than the price range you have already found. On the rare occasion that we go to Buca di Beppo, they have one on their menu that is about $30 a bottle. I'd have to assume it would be around $20 in a wine shop. Also, Trader Joe's carries one (and I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of this one or the one we've liked from Buca) and I want to say it is around $14.
  Re: Re: Do they think we are made of money??? by Trixxee (A note on the Amaron...)
I found Amaroe for $27.00 - so, I guess if you look around you can do o.k.

http://www.bevmo.com/productlist.asp?Ntt...rone&Nty=1
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com