My Cookbook Project is DONE!
  Re: (...)
Okay I am so sick and the kids went to my mom's house, but I had to share this with someone. It came in the mail today. It is our Family Legacy cookbook!

I have been working on this for several months and now it's in my hands! This has been a fun project and a wonderful way to commemorate our family's favorite recipes.

I made the paperback version so that everyone could afford to buy one or several, if needed. Then I made the hardcover version as a gift to my MIL.

Here is The Cover
[Image: Cookbookcover.jpg]

The spine
[Image: spine.jpg]

The middle
[Image: middle.jpg]

and here are both hardcover and paperback next to each other:
[Image: both.jpg]

I made both of these at www.lulu.com it is a great way to self-publish books. As you can see, when the finished product is in your hands, it's worth it. The website is set up so that any family member can purchase the amount of books they want and the books are sent directly to them. The prices are reasonable and the quality is excellent. (IMHO)

Anyway just thought I would share this great site and my new books with ya'll. I am glad I can enjoy the book and put the project to rest.

Now I am putting myself back to bed! (maybe after I read a few posts, now that I'm up)
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by luvnit (Okay I am so sick an...)
Laura that is one spectacular book you've done!! Congratulations - can non-family members buy this jewel also???

One question I do have, using the "lulu" site, do you have the option of book bindings?? Like spiral? May have to look at that site.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by cjs (Laura that is one sp...)
Very nice Laura! I know you're proud. I can't wait to hear the family's reaction! I may have to check this out also. I've got friends that want me to put together some of our favorites. I like the fact that individuals can buy what they want and the author doesn't have to buy a bunch and then sell them. I'd wind up just giving them away...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by cjs (Laura that is one sp...)
Yes Jean, they do have spiral and you can choose. I did all the drafts (13 of them) in the spiral bound. Those were just as nice. I was thoroughly impressed. The cost ranges with the number of pages in the book. They do have a price calculator to price books too. This is a POD company, Print On Demand. You can purchase 1 book if you want, or you can purchase many. I love that.

Your book even gets it's own virtual storefront! Give people the website and they can purchase it.
Laura
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by luvnit (Yes Jean, they do ha...)
Looked the site over, but the price is just too much more than what I'm paying now - your's looks wonderful tho.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by cjs (Looked the site over...)
Well most people aren't trying to make money on a family cookbook. We sure aren't. But it's a great way to get one distributed. A 6x9 coil bound (color cover) with 200 pages would be around $8-$9.
Laura
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by luvnit (Well most people are...)
You're right, my projects are to raise money, like scholarships for chefs...so gotta cut corners where I can.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by cjs (You're right, my pro...)
Jean, do you have to buy yours upfront? If so, how many. Laura's method would allow family and friends to buy online and I would not have to make a personal investment. On the other hand, I would not like the idea of the publisher making more than his fair share on MY book. I'll have to research this. It would make a nice summer project.

Laura, did you use MC to create it or hand type? I made one this past summer using just MC, my printer and sheet protectors for a wedding gift for a friend's daughter who was once my student years ago. It turned out REALLY nice. I then made one for daughter. It had color pics of most of the dishes, a personal forward to Megan, the bride, temperature charts, a beautiful cover, and matching dividers, etc. I put it in a pretty basket with some of my favorite ingredients and kitchen gadgets. I didn't get to see her when she got it, but hubby said she loved it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, do you have to...)
I go thru Staples to print the one that is out there and I'll probably go the same way with this next one. Yes, I buy mine upfront.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Cookbook Project is DONE! by cjs (I go thru Staples to...)
I love this. What a work of love!
Cory

I am not the model.