What's for Dinner Sunday?
  Re: (...)
Well, if I could, this is what we'd be eating... I ran across this this a.m. on M.C. - so all of us with MC has this recipe, but I've never seen it before. Sounds wonderful, maybe someone will beat me to it before I'm back in action.

(for those who don't know and would like to know, "Mille-feuille" this is normally a dessert made up of two layers of puff pastry filled with a sweet filling (custard, whipped cream, jams, etc.) For a savory, it would be made up of filling of cheese and usually served as an appetizer. This is a really interesting take on it.

Hash Brown Potatoes and Sliced Chicken Mille-feuille Style

Serving Size : 6

GARNISH:
1 bunch watercress
2 tablespoons Marsala wine
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley

SOAKING MUSHROOMS:
1/4 cup water
1/4 ounce dried shiitake mushroom
BAKED HASH BROWN POTATOES:
12 frozen hash brown patties -- thawed
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese

FILLING:
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts -- sliced
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
6 stalks Asparagus -- chopped
1/2 red bell pepper -- cut in thin strips
1 cup sliced white mushrooms

To soak mushrooms, boil water in small sauté pan; add shiitake mushrooms. Turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms from soaking liquid; pull off stems and discard. Chop mushrooms finely and add back to water. Set aside.

For hash brown potatoes, place potato patties in rows on cookie sheets; sprinkle each with about 1 tablespoon of cheese; bake in preheated 350° F oven for 10 minutes.

To make filling, in large saucepan, over medium heat, heat oil; add chicken and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add zucchini, asparagus, peppers and white mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes longer, or until vegetables are soft. Add Marsala, chicken stock, cream, and reserved shiitake mushrooms and their soaking liquid; boil. Turn down heat; simmer for 5 minutes longer. Stir in salt and pepper to taste; add butter and parsley.

To serve, arrange 1 potato patty, cheese side up, on plate; spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture over potato patty and top with second potato patty, cheese side up. Garnish with watercress.

-----

Does this not sound just delicious???
P.
S. Instead, I'm having my chix, tomatoes, cooked cabbage, celery, vege soup, grapefruit.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner Sunday? by cjs (Well, if I could, th...)
That does sound good- and interesting!

I'm making this. A friend of mine made it last week and really liked it. I'm subbing farfalle for the pappardelle though. The picture looks very pretty, with green from the chard and purple from the radicchio.

Pappardelle with Chicken and Winter Greens.
1 bunch (1 lb.) green Swiss chard
1/2 medium head radicchio
1 medium lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup freshly shredded asiago cheese, divided
3 cups shredded white and dark chicken meat (from one 2 1/2- to 3-lb. rotisserie chicken)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces dried pappardelle pasta

1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, trim stems and ribs from chard (save for another use, such as soup, if you like). Cut leaves crosswise into 1/3-in.-wide ribbons. Peel any rubbery outer leaves from radicchio and cut out tough core; discard both. Slice remaining leaves crosswise into 1/3-in.-wide ribbons. Zest lemon and set aside zest. Juice lemon and set aside 3 tbsp. juice.
2. Heat olive oil in a 12-in. frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until just translucent, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken broth, sherry, chard, radicchio, and lemon zest. Turn to coat and cook until chard is just tender to the bite, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cream and half the cheese; stir to combine. Stir in chicken and cook until warmed through. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.

3. Meanwhile, cook pappardelle in boiling water according to package directions. When pasta is cooked, drain and add to frying pan; use tongs to combine. Transfer pasta to a serving bowl, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and serve.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

CALORIES 448 (40% from fat); FAT 20g (sat 9.1g); PROTEIN 27g; CHOLESTEROL 94mg; SODIUM 846mg; FIBER 2.4g; CARBOHYDRATE 35g

Sunset, DECEMBER 2007
Poor Jean, you sure do love to torture yourself don't you.

We're having Shrimp Primavera, fresh salad, and fresh baked bread. Gotta go get that bread rising and peel some shrimp!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Sunday? by Trixxee (That does sound good...)
That is pretty Trixxie. And it's not that high in calories either. I've got chicken leftover from last night....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Sunday? by Gourmet_Mom (That is pretty Trixx...)
Those all sound great! I don't have to cook tonight. We are going to my son and dil's for my twin grandchildrens 14th birthday party.
Shirley
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Sunday? by smschwag (Those all sound grea...)
Homemade split pea soup with ham--not the Splendid recipe but a concoction of my own that I have been making for years--a little of this and a little of that-----

Did make the side of crabmeat/avocado wrap from Splendid Soups (with my twist on the dressing---a curry mayonnaise) that was a very nice addition---was gonna make cornbread but thought the calorie count would be better. For you newbies---I have to monitor my dear hubby's (Peter is his name) intake soooo.....

Nice change of pace for dinner----love soups!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
I'm making the CAH chicken piccata tonight with some plain spaghetti (I will serve the chicken on top of it with the sauce) and a salad. I made Billy's lemon/wht.pepper bundt cake last night to have for dessert. I can't wait to taste it!!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Sunday? by mlucas1 (I'm making the CAH c...)
"Did make the side of crabmeat/avocado wrap from Splendid Soups (with my twist on the dressing---a curry mayonnaise) "

Roxanne, I'm curious how you changed the recipe - I just looked at it and my note made on 12/23/06 says, "just bad - threw these away" guess we really did not like...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Sunday? by cjs ("Did make the side o...)
By the way, the pasta recipe turned out really good. You could detect the lemon - I liked that.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Sunday? by Trixxee (By the way, the past...)
"Pappardelle with Chicken and Winter Greens." this one? good to know, I did copy it!
www.achefsjourney.com