Pasta experts
  Re: (...)
So, last night I had this really good Roasted Butternut Squash side dish. Much to my regret, I did not roast all the squash for the dish. While we ate dinner last night, I roasted off the other half. Can I puree this and use to make pasta? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pasta experts by Gourmet_Mom (So, last night I had...)
Try this, as an example.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Pasta experts by Gourmet_Mom (So, last night I had...)
Yes you can.

Puree it, and then sit in in the stainer overnight. When you have folded the pasta twice through the first passes. Place the Squash into the fold and start to work you pasta out to the finished thickness.

But if you really want to use it. Skip all that and make normal pasta. Do a little onion, Parm, brown sugar and cardomom in with it. And fill ravioli up with that mixture. Real nice!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Pasta experts by bbally (Yes you can.[br][br]...)
Thanks guys. I'll puree it tomorrow and freeze it. When I get ready to use it I'll decide between the pasta and the ravioli. The ravioli is sounding pretty good, especially since I've not done ravioli yet. The only thing about that is, I'd need to come up with a sage based sauce...I really liked that combo Saturday night. HMMM?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pasta experts by labradors (Try [url=http://www....)
Hey labradors...GREAT site you gave as a resource.

As for a sage sauce why not just a butter cream sauce with fried sage leaves?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pasta experts by firechef (Hey labradors...GREA...)
Maybe a browned butter sauce with fried sage leaves and crushed pecans???

Sautee the pecans in the butter as it melts and then browns??? Good flavours for a squash ravioli. Maybe even some raisins...to garnish or top the dish???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pasta experts by firechef (Maybe a browned butt...)
Considering how good butternut squash and leek soup is, how about rewriting it as follows:
  • Use the squash to make the pasta. Roll out the pasta dough and cut into sheets and smaller squares (or use a cookie cutter) for ravioli.
  • Cook and crumble some bacon.
  • Sauté some leeks in butter with some thyme.
  • Add salt, pepper, bacon bits, and some chives or green onions.
  • Fill ravioli with the leek mixture and cook the assembled ravioli.
  • Serve topped with sour cream.
The only thing from the soup recipe that wouldn't be used is the chicken stock.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I want to try it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pasta experts by labradors (Considering how good...)
I love the combination of browned butter, walnuts and sage leaves.

hmmmm, I've not tried squash pasta - good idea to start with roasted to get most of the moisture out. maybe will play with this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pasta experts by labradors (Considering how good...)
Oooh Labs that sounds like a wonderful dish! I like the cjs's idea with browned butter.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pasta experts by luvnit (Oooh Labs that sound...)
I had mentioned to the family that some people on this site even made their own pasta. One of my birthday presents was a pasta maker.

Oh the calories *groan*.
Cory

I am not the model.