Canned Crab Meat
  Re: (...)
Just wondering what your favorite is. The product we get here is shredded----NO lumps. I will ask Mom to look for some next time she shops at her market once I know what you all have to say re: recommendations/preferences. TIA
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Canned Crab Meat by Roxanne 21 (Just wondering what ...)
Costco carries a brand - Phillips pasteurized lump meat that I reluctantly buy - can't say I prefer it, but I'll use it. As expected, I much prefer fresh - so use the canned sparingly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I think that canned crab meat is made up of the lesser parts of the crab. It's not really a good grade. That's why I always go fresh.
  Re: Re: Canned Crab Meat by cjs (Costco carries a bra...)
BUT!!!!!! NO fresh crabmeat here----still looking for some brand that may be acceptable????

PLEASE y'all----I'm at a loss here!!!
  Re: Re: Canned Crab Meat by Roxanne 21 (BUT!!!!!! NO fres...)
" That's why I always go fresh. " - that's a given, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canned Crab Meat by Roxanne 21 (BUT!!!!!! NO fres...)
Fresh crab is really expensive here. I buy the canned Philip's that Jean mentioned. I can usually get backfin, jumbo and claw. For crabcakes, I use a mixture of all 3.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Canned Crab Meat by cjs (" That's why I alway...)
That's true, but since I don't buy canned anymore, I can't really say what's a good brand. Like I said, it's lower grade crabmeat in cans so the brand might not matter. I would say to try different ones and see if there's a difference.
  Re: Re: Canned Crab Meat by Flarn (That's true, but sin...)
Flarn----we don't have "different" brands here. My Mom is 82 years young--she needs specific instructions for purchases---Phillips?? that's a start---come on guys!!!
  Re: Re: Canned Crab Meat by Roxanne 21 (Flarn----we don't ha...)
The only brand I've tried is the one they sell at Costco. I guess it would be Philips - all I remember is that it comes in a black can. I was expecting it to smell really crabby - it didn't though.

We made crab cakes on New Years with it and they turned out great. I would buy it again - I'd like to make some stuffed mushrooms one of these days.
Roxanne,
There was an article in CAH that had a discussion on canned crab meat and the Phillips was featured in the picture. I can't remember which issue it was but it was the one with the crab rangoons that I tried. They came out really well.
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]