Another Monday, Another Nor'Easter....
  Re: (...)
..which means curtailed operations at the University, a day off with pay!

How to spend it, maybe I'll cook half the day, sew the other.

I didn't check to see where this storm came from, which of you got hit with it before you sent it along to me?

What a winter.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Another Monday, Another Nor'Easter.... by pjcooks (..which means curtai...)
What a fun surprise - as long as everyone is safe What kind of sewing do you do PJ? We're redoing a downstairs bedroom and including a sewing center for me. I haven't had my sewing machine out since I went to cul. school. I used to do quilting and I'm thinking of getting back into it.

and since this be a food forum, after all - what will you be cooking up today on your free time????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well PJ I have heard of these Nor'Easters but I never really knew what they were. I looked it up today just to see. I found it quite interesting.

I would love to have a day off. As long as I still had electricity and heat. Take it easy and stay inside and enjoy your day off!

Quote:

Nor'easters can occur in the eastern United States any time between October and April, when moisture and cold air are plentiful. They are known for dumping heavy amounts of rain and snow, producing hurricane-force winds, and creating high surfs that cause severe beach erosion and coastal flooding. A Nor'easter is named for the winds that blow in from the northeast and drive the storm up the east coast along the Gulf Stream, a band of warm water that lies off the Atlantic coast.

Winter conditions make Nor'easters a normal occurrence, but only a handful actually gather the force and power to cause problems inland. The resulting precipitation depends on how close you are to the converging point of the two storms.

A powerful Nor'easter can bring travel to a standstill, closing city streets and making it nearly impossible to get anywhere for days. The thing to remember with Nor'easters is that the storm systems occur frequently, but only a few of them are powerful enough to make it into the news. There are two types of Nor'easters:

Offshore forming - These are the storms you hear about in the news. It is a news-worthy storm that moves east of east-coast cities, dumping lots of heavy snow. In an offshore-forming storm, the hardest hit metropolitan areas are likely to be Washington D.C, Philadelphia, New York City and Boston. Eventually, the system moves far enough north that the Canadian jet stream pushes it off the coast.

Onshore forming - These storms are less exciting than the offshore-forming storms. They move west of east-coast cities, with gusting winds and mostly rain.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Another Monday, Another Nor'Easter.... by cjs (What a fun surprise ...)
Ah nothing quite like a "winter hurricane" to start the week. My favourite winter was the winter of 2002...I think it was February of '02 that we (I was in NH like PJ then) got an average of 36 inches per week in the Sunapee region of the state. By early April it had hit over 100* F and in the middle of May it SNOWED again...about 6 inches.

Gotta love NH weather...or maybe not...

Stay warm dry and safe!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
This is our first day of Spring semester. So at UNH are the kiddies staying home as well?

So, now I won't dare complain about our temps here... at least there's no snow.
  Re: Re: Another Monday, Another Nor'Easter.... by cjs (What a fun surprise ...)
So far so good, have heat and lights and lots of food. I sew clothing, primarily, Jean, and every now and again I'll take a curtain job if someone really needs something special. I'm making chocolate cupcakes at the moment then I'll make some Portuguese sweet bread, some turkey rice soup for Picky (he just told me yesterday that he likes that, after 12 years)

Laura, I didn't know all that about Nor'Easters. It's very windy and the snow is building up quickly but it's not too heavy, unlike the last few.

Homecul, our kids are on winter break, still. Spring semester starts the day after Martin Luther King Day. That's why I'm surprised we're curtailed. Usually they don't close unless students are involved.

Now that I've bored you all to death I'm going to try to get off this computer and go back to the kitchen

PJ

LJ, I remember that warm spell, although, being closer to the coast, we didn't make it out of the nineties. Most times, I enjoy the changes in the weather. But it was 55 degrees yesterday and today we're dealing with 8-12.
PJ
  Re: Re: Another Monday, Another Nor'Easter.... by pjcooks (So far so good, have...)
SUNAPEE????? I grew up around Sunapee---what a beautiful part of NH that is!!!

When I was 16 or so (A VERY long time ago) I worked as a chamber maid in one of the Lodges---all of the super rich New Yorkers used to come and spend down time --GREAT days those were!! FUN memories--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Another Monday, Another Nor'Easter.... by Roxanne 21 (SUNAPEE????? I g...)
Yes, Rox, LJ used to live here in NH. I know that you spent a lot of time here growing up.

Well, when you make it overseas, I hope you don't forget to say hi to NH! (and come in for a cup of coffee)

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Another Monday, Another Nor'Easter.... by pjcooks (Yes, Rox, LJ used to...)
Count on it!!!! Thanks for the invite--wouldn't that be a great time??? YUP!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
We sent the storm on the way to you guys this morning. I was delivering newspapers at 2:00am when it began. I was hoping to get home before the worst of the storm and I think I made it. We're expecting more snow over-night tonight. <sigh> We just got rid of the snow from the last storm, I guess Mother Nature had to let us know that the 60 degree temps. were a gift and that it's still WINTER!! lol
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]