Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake.....
  Re: (...)
was a huge hit in my house! I served it last night for dessert and my friend loved it. I sent her home with a huge piece of it and she told me this morning she ate another piece of it when she got home. My hubby also helped himself to another piece.

I love the warmth from the pepper and ginger in this cake! I think the trick for me is to make it ahead of time so that the spicyness is slightly more mellow.

I told a chef friend of mine about this recipe and he wants me to bring a copy of it to him so that he can play with it. He is a chef/teacher at Johnson and Wales University in Providence and runs the hospitality/kitchen at the restaurant in Seekonk, MA.

If you haven't tried this cake, you really should!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by mlucas1 (was a huge hit in my...)
Oh my goodness! I have all the ingredients and have been meaning to make this cake every day for a week!

Now I am gonna have to do it. Thanks for the review
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by luvnit (Oh my goodness! I h...)
You will love this cake----as Billy would say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!"

Great recipe!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by luvnit (Oh my goodness! I h...)
Quote:

...been meaning to make this cake every day for a week!

That would be quite a lot of cake! Maybe try it just once, first.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
it is a super cake!Meg, I think the origin of the recipe has gotten lost over the postings - you might want to tell your friend it came from the Oregonian's Foodday website.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

...been meaning to make this cake every day for a week!

That would be quite a lot of cake! Maybe try it just once, first.

[/blockquote]

Good idea. I am on a diet anyway.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by mlucas1 (was a huge hit in my...)
Meg,
Do you have a link to this recipe? I would like to make it--but only after we've finished the huge batch of Italian Cream cupcakes I just made...

-Jen
  Re: Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by jend (Meg,[br]Do you have ...)
Jen, here's Billy's recipe for the cake - I'd forgotten it was a Maida Heatter recipe. I think more on this forum have made this cake than haven't - it's wonderful!

Billy's note: I found this one on The Oregonian's FOODday website. It sounds especially delicious....

White Pepper and Ginger Lemon Cake

Recipe By :Maida Heatter
Serving Size : 8

2 large lemons -- zest finely grated
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 by-1/2 inch piece fresh ginger (see note)
3 cups all-purpose flour -- plus more for dusting pan (divided)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
1 cup unsalted butter -- at room temperature
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
Lemon glaze
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar

This cake has an intriguing, albeit unexpected, combination of sweet and hot flavors. That has made it an often-requested alternative to the common lemon pound cake. The cake is similar in concept to a pound cake but is as dense, rich and moist as an English pudding.

Cake: Adjust the oven rack one-third up from the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan. Dust with flour and shake out any excess.

In a small cup, combine the zest and juice. Grate (do not mince) the ginger and add it to the lemon juice mixture. Set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar and beat for about 1 minute. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition.

Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with the buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the lemon and ginger mixture and blend just until combined.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top by briskly rotating the pan first in one direction, then the other (the batter should be rather heavy).

Bake for 70 to 80 minutes, until a cake tester inserted gently in the middle comes out clean and dry. (If you have used a 12-cup pan, the cake will not rise to the top of the pan, but that is all right.) Make glaze as soon as the cake is put in the oven to allow the flavors time to meld.

Let the cake stand in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Cover with a rack, turn the pan and rack over, remove the pan and place the cake on the rack over a large piece of aluminum foil to catch drippings of the glaze.

Glaze the cake while it is still warm. After the cake is removed from the pan but while it is still warm, stir the glaze to recombine. Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze over the warm cake, allowing some to drip into the hole. The cake will easily absorb all of the glaze. If some of the glaze drips onto the foil, pour the glaze back over the cake. Set aside until cool.

Using 2 wide metal spatulas, or using a flat-sided baking sheet as a spatula, transfer the cake to a serving plate. The cake is even beter if it ages for a day or two covered with plastic wrap -- the spicy hotness cools a bit as it ages.

Glaze: In a bowl, combine the juice and sugar. Makes about 1/2 cup.

Note: To grate ginger, peel it and use a ginger grater, a microplaner, a rasp or a fine-holed grater.

Description:
"The Oregonian, 1/25/05"
Source:
"Great American Desserts"
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by cjs (Jen, here's Billy's ...)
This is the most requested dessert I make. I play around with the quantity of white pepper in it...usually adding a little. It stays moist for a long time.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Billy's lemon,ginger, wht. pepper cake..... by bjcotton (This is the most req...)
And a great recipe this is Billy------

NICE TO SEE YOU BACK!!!!!!

Take care and be sure you get enough rest ---this computer time can take its toll-----tough to be disciplined though!!!
Too much fun here----
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy