It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean
  Re: (...)
What a cold day it is here today. Must be below zero... Wait, it's 4 degrees. My hubby came home today because he forgot to take his meds (he's sick too) and got the mail. Low and behold we have the Share A Recipe Cookbook ! We sat down together and looked through to decide what to make for dinner tonight. We chose the Hearty Hodgepodge (by Jean Denham, CC). It's on my stove right now brewing. I went to the store an got some ham hocks, beef shanks and garbanzo beans. Ready to serve it with crusty French bread and sweet butter.

This book is packef full of Entrees , Side Dishes, Desserts and Extras !

Most everything appears to be quite homey.

Oh and Jean, I have a question about Cottage Casserole . What is Cream-Style Cottage Cheese ? Is that just regular cottage cheese?

I will show you all a picture of my Hearty Hodgepodge when it's done. So far it smells wonderful on this very cold day.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by luvnit (What a cold day it i...)
Oh, no pressure!! I sure hope you both enjoy!!

"Cream-Style Cottage Cheese" - that's a real old recipe, so I'm sure regular cottage cheese would work great. Will have to make that again - it's been so long!

There are a couple of "must" makes in the book Laura,
- Chicken & Leek Casserole
- Roast Sausae with Onions, Pepper & Potatoes
- Taco Pie (DaCook/Marlene's)
- and if you like broccoli - Broccoli Salad (another of Marlene's)

Those are some I've tried that are exceptionally good - but, they are all wonderful! thanks so much for your interest in the book. Closer and closer to another scholarship.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by luvnit (What a cold day it i...)
Sounds good, Laura, I need to order this while I have the time! Next question, where?

Thanks,
PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by cjs (Oh, no pressure!! I ...)
Bill's Creamed Chicken and Biscuits looks real tastey too! I've kinda had a craving for chicken and biscuits. It makes a lot though, I'll either have to cut it in half or have a crowd over!

As for the Hodgepodge... We have never had ham hocks. I didn't really even know what they looked like. I love polish sausage though.

Others I want to try are
-Grilled Bean and Rice Burritos
-Lemon Chicken with Angelhair
-Marinated London Broil
-Mazetti

Hey that Mazetti is Sugarbrown's recipe! What ever happened to her. I remember being new to the forum and there was Sugar Brown's Mama's Mama's ____________ (fill in the blank) recipe.

Now I see the Cottage Cheese Patties . What are those like? Never heard of anything like this! Sound good though.
Laura
  Re: Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by pjcooks (Sounds good, Laura, ...)
I agree PJ, where can we get that book? Those recipes sound fantastic. Is that Jean's book?
Shirley
  Re: Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by luvnit (Bill's Creamed Chick...)
The Cottage Cheese patties are great!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by pjcooks (Sounds good, Laura, ...)
Oh you can order this direct from our very own Jean (cjs)! The book has an interesting background. Recipes were compiled by many people to raise money for chef scholarships. This is such a worthwhile cause. All proceeds from the book go into a scholarship fund for future chefs.

I am sure Jean can tell you better than I can. Jean?
Laura
  Re: Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by luvnit (Oh you can order thi...)
Thanks, Laura, I'll get in touch!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by pjcooks (Thanks, Laura, I'll ...)
OH, try the Chicken and Leek Casserole! We LOVE that recipe! I was at the store to get some of the pretty new leeks I saw the other day to make a quicky dinner using that recipe. Then I remembered hubby had been digging into the leftover chicken. I was soo disappointed.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: It's Raining Cookbooks!!!! - Jean by pjcooks (Thanks, Laura, I'll ...)
You did very well, Laura and thank you for mentioning the book!!

Just p.m. me and I'll send my mailing address to anyone interested. It's a book that came together thru a discussion a number of us had (on another forum) about what we fed our families (or our mother's fed us) when none of us had any money - and the response was tremendous.

We ended up with so many recipes posted, I thot we could put them to good use and compiled them into a cookbook that we sell for $20.50 (in the U.S.-a little higher outside) and use ALL the proceeds towards Chef Scholarships. So far we've given one $1,000. and we're halfway to the 2nd one.

It's a fun book, nothing fancy, just wonderful comfort food.

"Cottage Cheese Patties" - are just that, mixed with eggs, seasonings, crumbs and sauteed, then baked with (or without) tomato or mushroom soup over the top. I could feed these to my kids without them knowing what they were eating and they loved them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com