LJ's Competition next week!
  Re: (...)
Okay, LJ, it's your turn! I know you've won one so this isn't your first. Do you have guidelines, menus or other requirements? What do you need to produce, how much time do you have, do you get a helper?

Old hat to you, but on the heels of mine, curious about yours!!

Or is it too soon to tell us details, we're all pretty nosy here and we like details And pictures, I didn't think to bring my camera to mine (full of confidence, I was) but wish now I did.

PJ
PJ
  Re: LJ's Competition next week! by pjcooks (Okay, LJ, it's your ...)
Oh PJ - haven't we nagged and nagged about always having a camera handy at those times??? What we gonna do with you!

Hope you're all up to snuff be Monday, LJ -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by cjs (Oh PJ - haven't we n...)
Quote:

Oh PJ - haven't we nagged and nagged about always having a camera handy at those times??? What we gonna do with you!

Yes yes yes, Mom, I'll remember now

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I hope LJ is feeling better by then too! I think it's gonna be greek and he gets a sous chef...and of course pork. That's all I've gotten outta the boy!

LJ, don't be like PJ ...take your camera or get someone to take pictures for you!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by Gourmet_Mom (I hope LJ is feeling...)
My sous has backed out as it is on our day off...my "boss" the Food Network watcher is going down...I will be in the Des Moines Downtown Marriott's kitchen at 12 noon. I am judged at 3:30 pm and then sit around until the reception begins at 6:30 pm. I have five very formal invitations to mail out in the morning for guests. The reception is coat and tie type of gathering.

The main dish is what is being judged...I am doing a Greek Stuffed Center Cut Pork Rib Roast with the bones Frenched. I'll post the recipe next Monday night along with my report on the contest. I will say this...each individual chop will lay on a grape leaf and have my Greek Pasta as the side dish. The side isn't judged but has enough other Greek staples to balance the protein. The protein is traditionally lamb the way I am doing it but to play on my use of local products in "traditional" dishes I have converted it to pork.

I am one of 12 Chefs in all of Iowa asked to take part in this the 22nd Annual Taste of Elegance Contest. The winner gets $1,000.00 and there is an additional $500.00 for the "Peoples Choice Award" so in theory I could walk out with $1,500.00 if all goes well. The winner also represents Iowa in the National Taste of Elegance in San Diego this summer. That is a week long contest that has its finals taped for a Food Network Challenge and pays out $10,000.00! The very best case scenario is walking away with $11,500.00 and a free trip to San Diego and being on Food Network. Worst case...I have fun and know I am one of the top 12 Chefs in Iowa in the eyes of The Iowa Pork Producers Association! Not too bad, ay?

Yes, I've done similar but different...I won the Girl Scouts of America Cookie-Bake-Off locally last year with my Samoas Cheesecake and was awarded the IPPA Breaded Tenderloin of the Year for 2007 and have named a semi-finalist for 2008 in the same contest. This is the first one I have been to with the cooking and other Chefs right there! I should know I am good at what I do after 18 years but I still look at soooo many others and am in total awe of them and have trouble considering myself their peer...it didn't help the way I was treated regularly at a different forum...that's another story that doesn't need sharing here...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by firechef (My sous has backed o...)
LJ, the dish sounds great! Get better quickly!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by firechef (My sous has backed o...)
Sounds like an intense competition. Have fun and keep your cool. Good luck!
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by HomeCulinarian (Sounds like an inten...)
You gonna make us proud, LJ!!!!! GO FOR IT and we are backing you BIG TIME!!!! Now---can we have that recipe---sooner than later-----or when you are ready and able!!!!

???? what is a good sub for a grape leaf??---not available here---

ALL the best wishes to you, LJ----another Ascutneyite is a total WINNER!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by Roxanne 21 (You gonna make us pr...)
LJ I'm sending my mojo your way!! I cannot wait to hear how things go. I have no doubts you will knock their socks off.

Oh I so wish I could be there to cheer you on
  Re: Re: LJ's Competition next week! by DFen911 (LJ I'm sending my mo...)
Is today "the day"??
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.