Can i substitute buttermilk for yogurt?
  Re: (...)
HI

If the recipe calls for 1 cup buttermilk, can i use Yogurt or sourcream instead. And if I can what are the proportions?

Thanks
  Re: Can i substitute buttermilk for yogurt? by piano226 (HI[br][br]If the rec...)
According to the back of my "Food Lover's Companion"...the only "text" I have at my disposal as everything else is at work...you can substitute 1 cup of BUTTERMILK for 1 cup of PLAIN YOGURT.

It does not mention subbing sour cream however...

Hope this helps???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Can i substitute buttermilk for yogurt? by firechef (According to the bac...)
LJ, mine is the third edition, which do you have? Mine says -

for 1 cup sour cream - substitute 1 c plain yogurt; 3/4 c sour milk, buttermilk, or plain yogurt + 1/3 c melted butter; or 1 T. lemon juice + enough evaporated whole milk to equal 1 c.

---
Does this help or confuse, Marina??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Can i substitute buttermilk for yogurt? by cjs (LJ, mine is the thir...)
Whoops...had the blinders on and didn't look at anything other than "Milk, 1 cup nonfat 1 cup sour or buttermilk"

Yup...you're right...mine is still the 3rd edition too. Can't justify spending the money on the new 4th edition. Might be a birthday present in a few months...

Thanks for the additional information...now thats teamwork!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Can i substitute buttermilk for yogurt? by firechef (Whoops...had the bli...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com