Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe
  Re: (...)
Hi,
Does anyone has the recipe for the basic pizza dough of hers that appeared in a Cuisine at Home issue a while ago? I have the complicated one, but need the simpler version for this weekend. I fear my back issue got recycled!
  Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by cbcomstock (Hi,[br]Does anyone h...)
Is this the one you wanted??? By the way, welcome to the forums!!

Basic Pizza Dough
(Cuisine at home, April 2002, Issue 32, p. 19)
Makes: Three 10–14” Pizzas

Combine:
1 1/2 cups warm water (105–115°)
2 T. sugar
2 1/4 t. active dry yeast (one 1/4-oz. packet)

Mix:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup bread flour
1 T. kosher or sea salt

Add to Yeast Mixture:
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil

Pour Yeast/Oil Mixture into Flour and Knead.

Combine water, sugar, and yeast. Proof until foamy, about 5 minutes.

Mix flours and salt in bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with dough hook.

Add oil to yeast mixture.

Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and knead on low speed for 10 minutes (or the same amount of time if kneading by hand). Dough will be elastic and slightly sticky. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour.

Punch dough down and divide into three pieces; shape into balls and place on a floured work surface. Lightly brush dough with oil, cover completely with plastic wrap and let rise another 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 550° with stone on lowest rack. Place risen ball of dough on a lightly floured work surface.

Flatten by pressing it from the center out with fingertips. Grab the dough near the edge and rotate the round, allowing dough to stretch as you turn. For thick crust, press and stretch to a 10–12" round. For thinner crust, roll stretched dough to 14" round. Transfer dough to a dusted peel.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by cjs (Is this the one you ...)
This is not the one from C@H but it is one that I have used and it's pretty simple and very tasty. It is JoAnne Weir's recipe. (Note the clever name) This is the recipe that I taught to my granddaughters and the one Katelyn made last week.

WEIR DOUGH PIZZA
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps lukewarm water (105°- 110°)
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

To make a sponge, combine 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps lukewarm water, yeast and 1/4 cup of the flour in a large bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes until it bubbles up. Add the remaining 1¾ cups of flour, 1/2 to 3/4 cups lukewarm water and salt. Stir together with a wooden spoon to mix the dough thoroughly. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is soft and smooth, yet still very moist.
Oil a bowl with the extra virgin olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it over to coat it with oil. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place a clean dish towel over it. Place the covered bowl in a warm place at least 70° to 75°F, Let rise for 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.

Makes: 2 - 10" to 11" pizzas
Shirley
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by smschwag (This is not the one ...)
Well now, if we're posting favorite pizza dough recipes.....

PIZZA DOUGH

1 cup +3 Tablespoon water
2 tsps olive oil
2 3/4 cups bread flour -- (13.5 oz)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour -- (1.1 oz.)
1 tsp each: garlic & onion powders (plus I’ve started adding same amts. of basil and oregano)
1/4 cup dry milk powder -- (.7 oz.)
2 tsps sugar
1 1/2 tsps salt
2 tsps Active dry yeast

Using a Bread Machine: Fill bread machine in the order that your model recommends.
Set machine to 'dough'; take out at end of process & spread on a Pam-sprayed pizza pan which has been sprinkle with corn meal.

Using a Mixer: Put everything in the big bowl of a kitchen-aid, mix it for 5 to 7 minutes, let it rise right in the bowl, then punch it down, it's ready to use or cover it with plastic and use the next day.

For individual pizzas - divide dough into quarters. Either freeze, refrigerate till needed, or top immediately with toppings of your choice.
If frozen, let the dough thaw in a oiled plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight.

Oven: Once you have your toppings on the dough, bake at 450° for ~15 min., or till crust is golden.

Grill: Medium to medium high heat - grill for 4 min.; remove from grill and turn grilled side up - you'll want the uncooked side down. Top with toppings; place back on grill for 6 min. more, with the lid closed, rotating if necessary.

Variation: Made a double batch (12/31/07) - (2) Foccacias, each 10-12 oz.; (2) pizza rounds, each 6 oz.; (2) pizza rounds, each 4-5 oz.

Description:
"In the late 1970s, I started making pizza at home and I must have played with different doughs for 3 or 4 years before I got this one the way I wanted it to taste."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by smschwag (This is not the one ...)
Wierdo Piza,

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by cjs (Well now, if we're p...)
Thanks for sharing. It looks like a winner!
Shirley
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by cjs (Is this the one you ...)
YES!

Thanks so much to all, this is it. I have a houseful of skiers and football watchers this weekend, so this will be perfect.

I am looking forward to being part of this forum!

Claire
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by cbcomstock (YES![br][br]Thanks s...)
If I haven't already, welcome!! (It's been a long week)

Have a good time here with us!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by pjcooks (If I haven't already...)
Yes, welcome Claire! I think you will enjoy this BB. I sure have.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Help...Pamela Sheldon Johns pizza dough recipe by smschwag (Yes, welcome Claire!...)
Claire, try the Old Family Favorites thread. You'll find some great comfort casseroles etc, for a crowd of hungry eaters.

Welcome to Cuisine at Home.
Cory

I am not the model.