Identifying types of potatoes?
  Re: (...)
Here's something I've never really considered: how does one identify what variety a potato is? In the States, I never really thought about it, since I would just identify them by the bin in which they were displayed.

Here, in Honduras, the stores only have two types of potatoes: regular ones and the purple-skinned, white-fleshed variety (called camotes) that taste somewhat like sweet potatoes.

With only one type of regular potato available here, I haven't thought about varieties much here, either, but now I'm curious as to just what kind of potato these regular ones are.

How may I try to identify these things? I've looked at sites such as the Cook's Thesaurus, but it's still hard to tell.

I'll post a photo when I get back from the store.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by labradors (Here's something I'v...)
I do not have access to different varieties of potatoes either, labs.........white potatoes that I will use for mash and the larger ones for baked, the purple ones are sweet but the flesh is white (not the orange that I was used to). I have adjusted our menus according to the differences---not bad at all!!! 15 years will help with those taste changes!!! NO PROBLEMO!!!!

Send along that photo----interesting, indeed!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by labradors (Here's something I'v...)
Are you trying to find out what kind of potato it is? I am certainly not a 'potato expert', but this is the info I have.

Basic Potatoes
Russet (white) – baking
Long white – baking and frying
Round white – boiling and frying
Round red – boiling and frying
Sweet – baking

Are your potatoes grown locally?

Of course they are growing new varieties of potatoes every day. We use Klondike Rose and Klondike Golddust the most in our house.
  Re: Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by luvnit (Are you trying to fi...)
Sure wish we had those choices here!!!!

One of white (NOT russet) and a sweet---'bout it---

Sometimes we will have baby potatoes----not often!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by luvnit (Are you trying to fi...)
Quote:

Are you trying to find out what kind of potato it is?

Yes. I am not trying to find which potatoes are typically used for which purposes, but what kind of potatoes we have HERE.
  Re: Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"I am not trying to find which potatoes are typically used for which purposes," - good, 'cause it's really all personal taste what you use what for.

Labs, post your pictures - I have a huge poster titled " Root Vegetables,Exotic Tubers and Rhizomes" I ought to be able to identify just about any you have, I hope.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by cjs ("I am not trying to ...)
Okay. Just got back.

[Image: dsc00485dz5.jpg]

[Image: dsc00486hh7.jpg]

That middle one is about six inches. Not all of them are quite that rounded, though - most are oblong. My guess is that they are long whites, but I'm not sure.

Quote:

I have a huge poster titled " Root Vegetables,Exotic Tubers and Rhizomes" I ought to be able to identify just about any you have, I hope.

You'd have fun around here, then: not much variety for potatoes, but lots of other things on that poster: yuca, malanga, etc.
  Re: Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by labradors (Okay. Just got back...)
I see why you're asking, Labs, it's quite all over the board, isn't it?

I'm so spoiled here, I had at least twelve different potatoes to choose from today (Yukon Golds won). You and Roxanne keep reminding me of all the advantages we have here in the States that we take for granted.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by pjcooks (I see why you're ask...)
I love Yukon Golds, but haven't even seen one in years.
  Re: Re: Identifying types of potatoes? by labradors (I love Yukon Golds, ...)
OK, this is going to sound stupid, but these look just what we used to dig up at my grandfathers and put on the potato trailer. (They would darken slightly when aged.) We always called them Irish potatoes or Ir'sh potatoes. The skins were tender and good for many applications...mashed, baked with onions and butter, but not very good baked...they would come out "gummy". We ate them that way because they were free and all we had, but I know better now. I'll be interested to see what they really are.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.