Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce
  Re: (...)
Roy gave it a 9, then said no, 9 1/2 or 9 3/4!!!! He loved it and I was not far behind him - what a great comfort dinner this was.

[Image: meatloaftwo.jpg]

I've given in and will let him have the leftover sauce for his l/o meatloaf. Loved the flavor of the meatloaf - great combination of meats and flavors and texture. Will use this sauce for a lot of things I'm sure. The potatoes/cauliflower? Will keep the mouth shut for now...

Oh, Dancing Bear '05 Zin ($7.98!! ) was wonderful with all the flavors, even the roasted tomato. (God, I'm glad the last two weeks are over)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by cjs (Roy gave it a 9, the...)
Looks great! Is this from Cooking For Two?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by Lorraine (Looks great! Is thi...)
Looks really great Jean! Yummy!

Lorraine, this is from the current issue of C@H.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by luvnit (Looks really great J...)
Thanks. Just my luck, I chose to buy the other one instead.
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by Lorraine (Thanks. Just my luc...)
both, Lorraine, both!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by cjs (both, Lorraine, both...)
Jean,
My "source" of C@H issues moved halfway across the country recently, so we're unable to swap cooking magazines any longer.
This sounds perfect because DH bought a huge amount of ground turkey at Sam's and I'm looking for something easy for him to make with it that we can double (or triple) and keep for easy meals.

I did a search and found this:

1 pound 90% low fat ground beef
1 bag onion soup mix
1/4 cp bread crumbs, plain
1/4 cp egg beaters
2 TB ketchup
1/4 cp water
1 TS garlic powder
pepper, to taste
1/2 cup of fresh or frozen corn

mix up all ingredients, and fill the mix into a nonstick muffin pan. Baste individual meatloafs with a mix of BBQ sauce, splenda brown sugar, hoisin sauce and garlic powder. Bake at 400F for 30 min.

I don't want you to have to type the recipe in, though. If it's not the recipe you're describing, perhaps you can type in just the ingredients and I can figure it out from there?

Is this recipe what you used? It was on a blog marked "Skinny Meatloaf"
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by foodfiend (Jean, [br]My "source...)
No, that wasn't the one - here's the one from the magazine (I'm not real crazy about onion soup mix in meatloaf, myself. - but, the corn idea sounds good )

Skinny Meatloaf with sweet-&-sour ketchup
makes 12 3/4"-thick slices

Combine:
1/2 lb. each: ground sirloin (85% lean) I used 80/20, ground pork and ground turkey
1 cup panko or fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup onion, grated
2 egg whites
3 T. 2% or skim milk
1 T. worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper

Stir together; top meatloaf with:
1/3 cup ketchup
1 T. prepared yellow mustard
2 tsp. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F.; coat a broiler pan with nonstick spray (I used a loaf pan - better for sandwiches, imo)

Combine ground meats, crumbs, parsley, onion, egg whites, milk, worcestershire, salt & pepepr in a bowl, using your hands to mix.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, shaping it into a 9X5" loaf.

Stir ketchup, mustard and brown sugar together in a bowl, then spoon on top of the meatloaf. Bake until meatloaf reaches 160F. on an instant read therm., about 1 hour. let rest at least 5 minutes.

and here is the mushroom sauce recipe - for wnyone who wants the combination.

Here's the mushroom sauce recipe:
Mushroom Sherry Sauce
Makes 1 cup

Fry, Add and Sauté:
1 strip thick-sliced bacon, diced
3 cups mixed mushrooms, halved or quartered (5 ½ oz.)
1/4 cup shallots, minced
1 T. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. tomato paste

Deglaze with; Add and Simmer:
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup chicken broth

Finish with:
1 T. unsalted butter, cold
1/2 tsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat till crisp, about 5 min.
Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and return pan with drippings to the burner.
Add mushrooms and shallots, and sauté till mushrooms are browned, about 5 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and tomato paste; cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry and simmer till evaporated. Gradually add broth, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook till slightly thickened, about 5 min.

Finish sauce with reserved bacon, butter, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by cjs (No, that wasn't the ...)
THANK YOU JEAN!

I questioned the use of the onion soup packet (didn't thiink that it was something C@H would use in a recipe), but figured I could get DH to stop at the grocery store on his way home and pick me up a box. In fact, I'm now thinking about a potato chip dip recipe my Mom used to make with onion soup mix and sour cream... and I'm suddenly craving it...

Thanks again for typing the recipe for me!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by foodfiend (THANK YOU JEAN! [im...)
Thanks, Jean! I have all the ingredients, it'll be supper one night next week. I'll still buy that issue, though. What did you put on your tomatoes?
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf & Mushroom Sauce by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean! I have...)
On the tomatoes? just a little s&p and dried basil (I'm so friggin' good, not even any olive oil... )

"onion soup mix and sour cream... " I will love that dip till the day I die!!
www.achefsjourney.com