What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23?
  Re: (...)
I had to post this...it was sooo good!

We had stuffed turkey breast (deboned myself ), corn and leek chowder, and roasted asparagus! Between the turkey and the chowder, I'd have a hard time saying which was best. The turkey was really good and made a pretty presentation, but I think it would have to be the chowder....MMMMM! I wish the camera was working, it all looked sooo pretty together, especially on my new fiestaware (from Mom for xmas)!

What did you have?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by Gourmet_Mom (I had to post this.....)
Didn't get to the store today, so I got lazy and had Popeye's chicken strips.

Would love to have that recipe for that corn and leek chowder - sounds wonderful!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by labradors (Didn't get to the st...)
No problem....This came from a cyber friend on another forum, but I think she would be pleased I was sharing it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn/Leek Chowder

Recipe By :ethylcooks
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 oz bacon -- slice crosswise into thin strips
2 oz. butter
1 lb hash browns, frozen -- (Oreida southern style)
2 cups baby carrots -- sliced
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
1 bunch leeks
1/2 cup Knorr vegetable soup mix
8 cups cold water
4 tablespoons chicken bouillon
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons fresh parsley -- minced very fine(3 to 4)
1 can creamed corn -- (14 oz)
2 cans corn -- do not drain
8 ounces ham -- diced
1 tablespoon tabasco sauce -- green type
1/2 cup heavy cream

Cook bacon til crisp, set aside. Add butter to pan, add hash browns, carrots and garlic to pan and saute. Finely chop white portion and just a little green portion of the leeks. Be sure to remove the dark green tough leaves and chop on the tender parts. Reserve 3/4 cup of the leeks, and then add to pan.

Add 1/2 cup soup greens, water, chicken boullion and salt to pan. Cook til veggies are tender. Add parsley, then puree soup. Be sure to leave small bits, do not over-puree.

Add the corn, ham, reserved leeks and tabasco sauce. Add whipping cream just before serving. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top of soup.

S(Internet Address):
"http://forums.chef2chef.net/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=540291&Searchpage=1&Main=540262&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post540291"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 442 Calories; 29g Fat (60.1% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 76mg Cholesterol; 1935mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : *Soup greens are hard to find, they are dried vegetables, onions, carrots, peas, etc. I have substituted dried onion soup mix for the greens and it works OK.

1-23-08 This was GREAT! I could eat this all by itself! I can't wait to repeat it! I used Knorr vegetable soup mix as noted in the recipe. I also used regular carrots, sliced thin and 2 bunches green onions since leeks were not available at the time. I did not use the butter and did not miss it.
Next time I want to try frozen corn for the two cans of regular corn. I think there is plenty of liquid to make up for the undrained canned corn.

I hope you enjoy it!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by Gourmet_Mom (No problem....This c...)
Ooooh! Thanks.

Knorr is part Unilever - the same huge, multinational company that also makes Hellmann's, so we DO have Knorr products here, but not necessarily the same ones, so I'll have to check.

One thing they have, that I don't recall having seen in the states, are garlic bouillon cubes, and they are delicious!

The only frozen hash browns available here are Cavendish, but I remember having like that brand when I was in the States, anyway. Down here, I haven't used them, yet, due to the price, but I may for this recipe - or I may just make my own.

For the diced ham, I'll have to use deli ham, since this type of recipe would probably call for actual cured ham, but the only other ham we get here is fresh ham - not cured.

We'll see, but thanks again!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by labradors (Ooooh! Thanks.[br][...)
A few extra notes:
-I used deli ham. I think cured would be overkill....way too much salt...and it didn't need the flavor.

-The original recipe called for Soup greens... Ethyl- "*Soup greens are hard to find, they are dried vegetables, onions, carrots, peas, etc. I have substituted dried onion soup mix for the greens and it works OK"....the Knorr was my idea. I didn't want to use the onion soup mix.

-Regarding the bouillon, I use a NO MSG, low sodium chicken base instead of bouillon all the time, and I reduced it slightly. Actually, I think there is enough flavor here that you could probably use broth or stock in place of the water (what I may do next time) and eliminate the bouillon altogether. I definitely think the garlic bouillon would be a good addition.

-Lastly, I think homemade shredded potatoes would definitely work well. I'm adding that to my notes.

Next time, I think I'll also increase the ham and use it for a main with maybe grilled cheese, pimento cheese, or ham and cheese sammies. (Hubby put it on his turkey. That was a Giada recipe with a stuffing of Italian sausage, proscuitto, olives and nuts. It needed no extra flavor. He just liked the chowder THAT much.) I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by Gourmet_Mom (A few extra notes:[b...)
Thank you Daphne, and Ethyl too.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by vannin (Thank you Daphne, an...)
Thanks for the additional tips, Daphne.

Another option, here, would be a vegetable bouillon powder made by Maggi. I've used that in my cream of broccoli soup, instead of chicken broth/bouillon, when people wanted it to be vegetarian.

The chicken bouillon I use, here, probably isn't available in the States. The brand name is "Doña Mari," and it comes from Guatemala. Although I think it does have MSG, it has much less sodium (and better flavour) than Knorr or Maggi. This has only 441mg, but the others have over 1000mg!

Otherwise, I do make stock from time to time, but don't have enough freezer space to store very much, so I don't usually make huge batches of it, and I tend to use it right away.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by labradors (Thanks for the addit...)
We finished out dinner review items - so can't say anything yet.

How did you fix your "self-deboned" turkey breast, Daphne?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by Gourmet_Mom (I had to post this.....)
Oooh, the chowder sounds great! Thanks for the recipe.

It is Thursday, but I can tell you what we had last night - no idea yet about tonight...

We had the C@H meaball subs and a salad. Oh, they are so good! I made two batches of meat balls a few weeks back so I have a freezer full of meatballs just waiting for me to use them up - I LOVE THAT!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday, 1/23? by esgunn (Oooh, the chowder so...)
Jean, I was so proud when I managed to finally debone that sucker! It didn't look mangled and I didn't draw blood!

The stuffing was a mix of Italian sausage, proscuitto, boiled and chopped chestnuts (I subbed roasted chopped pecans), green olives (I subbed black), and a little fresh chopped sage. It was very good and the breast was soooo moist!
Daphne