Cooking Stores
  Re: (...)
Has anyone gone to any of those stores where they prep the ingredients and clean up, and you just assemble the meals there and take them home and freeze? I have one locally and I love it. I do it about once a month, to fill in those gaps when I don't have time to cook but don't want to go out. (Although I love to cook!)
  Re: Cooking Stores by carolekv (Has anyone gone to a...)
I've always wanted to try them out - but never have. When they first came to our area a couple of years ago - I thought what a perfect concept. If I was to go into business that would probably be what I would want to do. I try and do much the same thing at home. Always make two of things and keep them in the freezer.

How have you found their meals? Some seem healthier than others. I bought a book from one of the companies that does it and they use a lot of canned soup as bases and the meals are pretty carb loaded.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cooking Stores by esgunn (I've always wanted t...)
We had a place like that in town called Super Suppers. It lasted about a year. I never tried it - some friends did and they thought it was good, but I guess not good enough to stick in this community. We have a very high rate of dining out here mostly because of the student population. Not the right size market or market demographics to attract any 4-star restaurants, tho.

Here is info from the announcement when it opened:
Judie Byrd, owner of the Culinary School of Fort Worth in Texas, founded Super Suppers. She studied entertaining and catering with Martha Stewart and professional cooking at the Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, N.Y., and Le Cordon Bleu School of Cookery, London.

http://www.supersuppers.com/
  Re: Cooking Stores by carolekv (Has anyone gone to a...)
I think there used to be one here in town - I saw a sign but nothing that looked like it still existed.

This area is pretty depressed right now - our claim to "national fame" is that we lead the country in home foreclosures. I'm not sure this is a great spot for a Personal Chef - but who knows, lots of people in this town seem to be eating out. Two brand new restaurants just opened, one a brew pub and the other an Elephant Bar (love Elephant Bar). Can't wait until we can go - great food and really fresh tasting.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cooking Stores by HomeCulinarian (We had a place like ...)
Nada in this part of the world---interesting concept though for the busy cook that loves to put on a sort of "home-cooked" meal for the family. I would have used this---most likely, during my 18 hour days at work....sure beat pizza, frucky fry and mickey d's---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cooking Stores by esgunn (I've always wanted t...)
The quality of both the ingredients and the recipes in the two that I've gone to has been excellent. They have lots of options, including healthy and vegetarian. I guess it's somewhat dependent upon the business model of the store, though, since some are franchises and some are not, some get their food from a specific distributor, some do not.

We actually have three of these nearby - two of which I've tried. One is excellent and well run. It is near to a college town and seems to know how to balance between students and professors and families as customers. They run some interest-generating promotions too - coupons, emails, online channel, advertise for parties, pick up ready-made to go, holiday helpers (side dishes pre-made), kid cooking parties, football tailgate platters, that kind of thing.

Second had great food and was closer, but is now out of business. It's sad, but interesting from a business perspective. It seemed to fall prey to the age old misperception that this type of business would be easy and fun and part-time. Moms with family situations that really weren't ready to support them in the hard work that small business startups require. They were open only during weekday daytime hours (which leaves out the biggest part of their potential consumer-base, working parents), closed down if the kids got sick, and never had everything properly prepared or ready for the customers, which is a huge no-no in this type of business. It was sad, because it was clear they loved the concept, but really underestimated what that would take and the business just couldn't take off.

I also really thought I'd love to do something like this, maybe when I retire from my current profession. Anyway, the way that I use it, since I do love to cook and do love to go out, is to offset those times when I don't want to do either. I go once a month and then have 6-7 meals for 4-5 people in the freezer to pull out when needed.
  Re: Re: Cooking Stores by Roxanne 21 (Nada in this part of...)
The closest thing we have is a take and bake pizza place...not bad and cheap...those are the important things in my household!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Cooking Stores by firechef (The closest thing we...)
We have one around here called "Dream Dinners". I haven't been there but from what I have read it sounds like what you described. There is another one that might be but I haven't used either.
Shirley