Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce
  Re: (...)
This is from Robert Del Grande and will blow your mind. We make it for family and parties. Makes 16.
2 T peanut oil
one 2 oz pkg dried pasilla chilis, stemmed, seeded, torn into 1 inch pieces.
1/2 C whole blanched almonds, chopped
4 chicken breast halves
6 C chicken stock

1/2 t cumin seeds
4 plum tomatoes, cored, quartered
1/2 onion quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 T firmly packed golden brown sugar
1 t coarse salt

Peanut oil (for frying)
16 corn tortillas
2 1/2 C grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 C chopped onion

1 C creme fraiche or sour cream
1 avocado, peeled seeded, sliced
fresh cilantro sprigs

Heat 2 T oil in large pot over high heat. Add chilis and almonds. Saute until chilis darken and almonds are golden, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chilis and almonds to a bowl. Reduce heat to med. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to same pot and brown on all sides, about 5 min. Add stock and simmer until chicken is cooked thru, about 20 min. Transfer chicken to another bowl using slotted spoon;cool. Reserve stock in pot.

Toast cumin seeds in heavy small skillet over med-low heat, about 1 min. Mince cumin seeds. Add cumin, chili mixture, tomatoes, quartered onion, garlic, sugar, and salt to stock. Simmer until all ingredients are very soft, about 45 min.

Working in batches, puree stock mixture in blender. Return to pot. Boil until reduced to 4 C., stirring occasionally, about 20 min. Season w/ salt and pepper. CAN BE MADE ONE DAY AHEAD. STORE CHICKEN SEPERATELY.

Remove skin from chicken and discard skin. Cut meat from bones and shred. Transfer to bowl and combine with 1/2 C sauce. Set filling aside.

Oil 2 13x9 inch baking dishes. Pour oil into deep skillet to depth of 1/2 inch and heat to 375. Fry tortillas 1 at the time until softened, about 5 seconds per side. Using metal spatula transfer to paper towels. Spread 1 T sauce over each tortilla.Sprinkle each with 2 T cheese and 1 T chopped onion. Place 1/3 C chicken down center of each tortilla. Roll up. Place seam side down in baking dishes. Can be made 1 hr or more ahead-cover.

Preheat oven to 350. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until heated thru, about 20 min. Top with creme fraiche, avocado, and cilantro. (If Julia is coming over leave off the cilantro). This is a big hit at our parties. It's not as tedious as it sounds, especially if you do ahead.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Old Bay (This is from Robert ...)
This looks good OB. I have never done much Tex-Mex as it's not favorite of hubby's, but have been thinking of trying some out. This looks like somthing he'd try. Thanks...copied and saved.

BTW, Cook's Thesaurus says you can use ancho chile peppers as a sub...correct? I know I'd never find the pasilla chilis here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (This looks good OB. ...)
This looks wonderful and I happen to have the dried chilis. They are not readily available here like they are in Texas, I am sure.

This one we are gonna try and soon!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (This looks good OB. ...)
Anchos do well--others also sub well-avoid the really hot ones. This is not meant to be hot.
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by luvnit (This looks wonderful...)
Daphne, some larger grocery stores have in the Mexican aisle, clear pkgs. of dried chilie, if you see any marked Chile Negro or of course Pasilla, that's it and yes, anchos can be used in place of the Passila.

Bill, that sounds so good!! will certainly be made around here - Pasillas are one of my all time favorite chili flavors. And I'm sure what Bill typed means (1) 2-oz. pkg. of the chilis, just in case....

And since Pasillas don't come up much around here, may I post an aioli with pasillas that would top this dish off wonderfully!! (just as a change of pace from creme fraiche)

PASILLA AIOLI

Recipe By: Cook, Eat, Cha Cha Cha (Restaruant in S.F.)

4 pasilla chilies, seeded
3 Tbsps Pasilla powder
2 T. Olive oil
1 1/2 slice white bread, crusts removed, soaked in 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 lg egg yolks
1/4 c Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
white pepper
2 tsps minced garlic
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 c Soybean oil
Freshly ground pepper

In med. pan of boiling water, blanch chilies for 2 min.
Drain, reserve 1/3 c. water.

In processor, combine water, chilies, pasilla powder, & olive oil; puree to smooth paste.
Add remaining ingred. except soybean oil; puree.
With machine running, drizzle oil in.

Store airtight in frig. for up to 10 days.

Yield:
"4 c"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by cjs (Daphne, some larger ...)
Corrected!! You can be my editor any day!! I like the aoli--I usually only do the avocado and cilantro--I will try that!
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Old Bay (Corrected!! You can ...)
It was just that the space didn't look quite large enough... what a great looking dish, Bill - just looked at it again! Why isn't it O.K. and healthful to weight 300 lbs.?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Old Bay (This is from Robert ...)
Okay - there's Monday night's dinner if Jennifer is still home. That and the chili colorado empanadas. Thank you so much - printed and ready to go to the kitchen!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by Harborwitch (Okay - there's Monda...)
Is this the one, Laura??
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Enchiladas with Pasilla Chili Sauce by cjs (Is this the one, Lau...)
Yes it is! Way to go Jean! And I think I still have the same dried chilis in my pantry too Are they any good, or do I have to procure some more?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura