Skinny Meatloaf Recipe
  Re: (...)
Here you go, Roxanne - I think it's good enough to warrant its own thread, then we can find it again.

Skinny Meatloaf with sweet-&-sour ketchup
makes 12 3/4"-thick slices

Combine:
1/2 lb. each: ground sirloin (85% lean) I used 80/20, ground pork and ground turkey
1 cup panko or fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup onion, grated
2 egg whites
3 T. 2% or skim milk
1 T. worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper

Stir together; top meatloaf with:
1/3 cup ketchup
1 T. prepared yellow mustard
2 tsp. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F.; coat a broiler pan with nonstick spray (I used a loaf pan - better for sandwiches, imo)

Combine ground meats, crumbs, parsley, onion, egg whites, milk, worcestershire, salt & pepepr in a bowl, using your hands to mix.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, shaping it into a 9X5" loaf.

Stir ketchup, mustard and brown sugar together in a bowl, then spoon on top of the meatloaf. Bake until meatloaf reaches 160F. on an instant read therm., about 1 hour. let rest at least 5 minutes.

and here is the mushroom sauce recipe - for wnyone who wants the combination.

Here's the mushroom sauce recipe:
Mushroom Sherry Sauce
Makes 1 cup

Fry, Add and Sauté:
1 strip thick-sliced bacon, diced
3 cups mixed mushrooms, halved or quartered (5 ½ oz.)
1/4 cup shallots, minced
1 T. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. tomato paste

Deglaze with; Add and Simmer:
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup chicken broth

Finish with:
1 T. unsalted butter, cold
1/2 tsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat till crisp, about 5 min.
Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and return pan with drippings to the burner.
Add mushrooms and shallots, and sauté till mushrooms are browned, about 5 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and tomato paste; cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry and simmer till evaporated. Gradually add broth, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook till slightly thickened, about 5 min.

Finish sauce with reserved bacon, butter, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by cjs (Here you go, Roxanne...)
Bringing this back to the top for Roxanne!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by esgunn (Bringing this back t...)
Jean, I made a large batch o' this meatloaf on Sunday (had 2-1/2 pounds of ground turkey to use up-- gotta love Sam's Club!)and we both thought it was delicious. Of course, I made some additions/substitutions based on what I had on hand (this is reviewed on my blog) but I have to mention that what really set this recipe off was the Sweet & Sour Ketchup baked on top! Delicious!

Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by foodfiend (Jean, I made a large...)
Vicci, now that I've tried the recipe, I'm wanting to play with it also. We loved the topping too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by cjs (Vicci, now that I've...)
I've used a similar topping on my old meatloaf recipe that had the catsup, mustard, brown sugar and a little nutmeg. Also, that old recipe includes mostly the same ingredients with oats instead of bread plus a little poultry seasoning. I liked the three meats combination of this new recipe. The only other change I'd planned to do was back off the parsley a bit.
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by HomeCulinarian (I've used a similar ...)
I agree HC. This is soo close to DH's grandmother's recipe it's scary. The only thing I do different is soak the bread crumbs in the milk before adding the other ingredients. I am looking forward to trying it with the three meats as well! We're having it tonight. Speaking of which, I neeeeed to go get started!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (I agree HC. This is...)
Oh my goodness! This is a 10 and I'll do it again! LOL! Poet and don't know it! I am soooo glad I doubled this! I had planned to freeze the second meatloaf...HAD to buy a pound of ground turkey and pork or grind it myself. Thankfully I planned this....hubby brought his "strong arm" employee home tonight. He is a big guy and LOVES to eat! My youngest son was here and hubby and I.

I made this with the sherried mushroom sauce and buttermilk cauliflower mashed potatoes. There is half a second meatloaf left...as of this moment....and just enough mashers and sauce to accompany it. That's all that's left?!?!?!? Actually, I don't think there will be any left tomorrow....DH's employee will probably polish it and the masher off between a midnight snack and breakfast. What can I say, the boy likes to eat!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my goodness! Thi...)
We sure liked that combination also - that will be an oft repeated combination the rest of the winter around here. Now, if one of us can remember to bring the subject up next fall....

The only difference I made was adding more onion, 1/4 cup to 1 1/2 lbs. of meat just wasn't enough for me. and I cut back on the parsley.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by cjs (We sure liked that c...)
Thanks for the recipe and the reviews!!!!

No ground turkey here---I will use chicken instead. That should not make much difference??

YUMMMM!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Skinny Meatloaf Recipe by cjs (Here you go, Roxanne...)
I like to use a mixture of 50% ground beef (80/20) and 50% ground turkey. I soak 2 pieces of bread in milk saute 1/2 onion until it begins to carmelize. I mix this with the meat mixture, some worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper with two eggs (beaten slightly). I then shape the mixture into a loaf and roll in honey panko. I bake it at 350 for 20 minutes until the panko forms a crust. Then I heat a can of beef broth with a can of tomato sauce in the microwave until hot and pour it over the meatloaf (you don't want to pour it cold because you could shatter the baking dish if it is glass.) The panko crust makes the meatloaf more savory tasting. I'm a gravy person, so I always have a couple of pieces of gravy bread before eating the meatloaf.