Oregon
  Re: (...)
Looks like I am being asked to speak in Portland in May about Autism. Seounds like I will be speaking in Portland but staying in Redmond (is that possible???). I am very excited about this and this will be very big for my stature in the autism community and I get out of the house.

However, I would like to visit people in this forum, if possible, AND eat at wonderful places that are not typical for travelers.

Pleae help! Let me know what is out there!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Oregon by luvnit (Looks like I am bein...)
Laura - what an honor for you. I've noticed many more feature stories about autism recently. Can't help you with things to do in Portland but will look forward to reading about your adventures there!
Go on a Willamette Valley wine tour (Pinot Noir is world class)--include Elk Cove, Anne Ammie, Drouhan,Bella Vida, eat lunch at Caprials in Portland--no sales tax in Oregon--buy wine and ***** it home tax free. Great place for tourists--high gas prices though- you can't pump your own gas. Beautiful country. Nice people.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Oregon by Old Bay (Go on a Willamette V...)
Laura, being an educator and parent of a special needs child, I have to ask...sorry if I'm asking for info somewhere on here...what is your connection to autism?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
What a wonderful opportunity for you, Laura! I'm very impressed with what you have accomplished for your family, and other families that are affected by autism. Keep up the good work!

Daphne, Laura's daughter has autism. Clink to her website, (that's my shorthand for click on the link), it's fascinating to see the progress being made these days.

Maybe you'll run into some old friends out there, Laura!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Oregon by Old Bay (Go on a Willamette V...)
Thank you Old Bay! You are a fountain of helpful information. I do remember hearing about the Oregon wines. A wine tour would be very lovely.

I looked up Caprial's Bistro in Portland. Very nice menu, which changes seasonally, another good sign. Hopefully I will remember to bring my camera and take food photos

Gourmet Mom, as PJ stated, my middle child has autism. She is an amazing child. You also have a child with special needs?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Oregon by luvnit (Thank you Old Bay! ...)
Hey there Laura - I'm betting Billy and I can meet you in Portland in May - sounds like a ball. Let us know the dates and we'll all invade the city at the same time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oregon by cjs (Hey there Laura - I'...)
Are you supposed to stay in Redmond Oregon or Redmond Washington? Neither of which is close to Portland. Redmond WA is right near Seattle ~200 miles North; Redmond OR is in the middle of the state and probably about the same distance.

You bet Jean, we could meet Laura in May.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Oregon by bjcotton (Are you supposed to ...)
GOOD ON YA, Laura!!! That is a very difficult undertaking but looks as though you have control!!! How amazing that you should participate in a "lecture"---don't know if I could do that But I always admire anyone that can!!!!

Oregon is probably one of the MOST beautiful areas in the US----just do a bit of googling and you will have MORE THAN ENOUGH to keep you entertained!!

Sure wish I could be relocated before then---would LOVE to meet you and spend some time together---maybe next year??!!!!??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Oregon by Roxanne 21 (GOOD ON YA, Laura!!!...)
Oh, I apologize Laura! For pete's sake I didn't even mention your mission - what a wonderful oportunity for you!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com