Pizza Crust
  Re: (...)
I love making pizza from scratch, and was hoping for everyone else's opinion as to what the best crust mix is.
  Re: Pizza Crust by chef21 (I love making pizza ...)
Well, you'll probably get a lot of answers, but here's my favorite!!

Jean’s Pizza Dough

1 cup +3 Tablespoon water
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 3/4 cups bread flour -- (13.5 oz)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour -- (1.1 oz.)
1 teaspoon each: garlic & onion powders
1/4 cup Nonfat Dry Milk Powder -- (.7 oz.)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Active dry yeast
For variation: 1 Tsp. Each Dried Oregano & Basil

Using a Mixer: Put everything in the big bowl of a kitchen-aid, mix it for 5 to 7 minutes, let it rise right in the bowl, then punch it down, it's ready to use or cover it with plastic and use the next day.

For individual pizzas - divide dough into quarters or thirds. Either freeze, refrigerate till needed, or top immediately with toppings of your choice.
If frozen, let the dough thaw in an oiled plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight.

Oven: Once you have your toppings on the dough, bake at 450° for ~15 min., or till crust is golden.

Grill: Medium to medium high heat - grill for 4 min.; remove from grill and turn grilled side up - you'll want the uncooked side down. Top with toppings; place back on grill for 6 min. more, with the lid closed, rotating if necessary.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pizza Crust by chef21 (I love making pizza ...)
Here is my favorite. I got this from JoAnne Weir's website

WEIR DOUGH PIZZA

1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps lukewarm water (105°- 110°)
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

To make a sponge, combine 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps lukewarm water, yeast and 1/4 cup of the flour in a large bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes until it bubbles up. Add the remaining 1¾ cups of flour, 1/2 to 3/4 cups lukewarm water and salt. Stir together with a wooden spoon to mix the dough thoroughly. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is soft and smooth, yet still very moist.
Oil a bowl with the extra virgin olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it over to coat it with oil. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place a clean dish towel over it. Place the covered bowl in a warm place at least 70° to 75°F, Let rise for 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.

Makes: 2 - 10" to 11" pizzas
Shirley
  Re: Re: Pizza Crust by smschwag (Here is my favorite....)
I haven't tried this yet, but I am betting it's a winner. It's from the Cuisine for Two book/magazine.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

1 pkg. dry active yeast (2 1/4 t.)
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 T. honey
1 T. olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 t. kosher salt

Proof yeast in warm water with hiney until foamy, 5 minutes; add 1 T oil. Combine flours and salt in a food processor, then add yeast mixture and blend until dough forms around blade. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, then cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 475 with pizza stone on lower rack. Punch down dough, shape into 2 balls, and let rise, covered, 30 minutes.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pizza Crust by cjs (Well, you'll probabl...)
What ever the Pizza Rut guy brings me...just kidding. Notice that nobody here mentioned mixes?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pizza Crust by firechef (What ever the Pizza ...)
Oh, do you think that's what was meant???? 'mixes'? and does Kraft make pizza crust mixes?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Crust by cjs (Oh, do you think tha...)
I am sure somewhere in that conglomerate that is Kraft Foods is a pizza mix. The poor marketing types are crying because of your answers...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Pizza Crust by firechef (I am sure somewhere ...)
That's funny FireChef... I never thought of a 'mix' as was actually stated in the original question from our new Chef21's posting. I clicked on his profile and it stated the occupation as working for Philadelphia Cream Cheese which happens to be a Kraft company.

Do you think that is why he/she was asking? marketing?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pizza Crust by luvnit (That's funny FireChe...)
with it happening three times in a year, probably some kind of marketing, I would think.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Crust by cjs (with it happening th...)
Geeze, you'd think they'd give up already.

A huge marketing budget, I'm sure, yet they have to come bother us. I'm glad noone fell for the "mix" thing, (well, we probably all just missed it) but that's neither here nor there, you all just marched out with your best recipe.

Not a mix in the bunch.

PJ
PJ