Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31?
  Re: (...)
IT'S GOING TO BE FEBRUARY ALREADY!!! (time sure flies when you get olderly... )

I'm making the Corn & Leek Chowder - been in the back of my mind ever since Daphne (and Ethyl) posted it. Think I'll probably make a few dinner rolls an check old issues for a side dish to start us out.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by cjs ( [i]IT'S GOING TO BE...)
I'm thawing country ribs and have no idea what I'm going to do with them. I might put them in the rotisserie basket and let them cook for a few hours.

I will most likely baste them with bbq sauce, make cheese scalloped potatos and saute green beans.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by Corinne (I'm thawing country ...)
I think I am finally going to make the Italian Chili for tonight. Been going to do that ever since the new issue came.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by smschwag (I think I am finally...)
Jambalaya and sausage...when we get HOME today!!!
Maybe chocolate bar brownies for dessert???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by firechef (Jambalaya and sausag...)
I RECEIVED the Cuisine for Two issue today---of course I have to do SOMETHING!!! I had chicken breasts thawing soooooo I will make the Chicken Paillard with that wonderful looking salad----will add orzo for the carbo load-Sad
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by cjs ( [i]IT'S GOING TO BE...)
Years ago I purchased a Pasta Cookbook by Food and Wine. Really wonderful book and I love to cook from it.

We have been trying to eat light lately, but...

We had some $20/lb gorgonzola leftover from something so I had to do something!

[Image: RE_qfspas167v.jpg]
This photo does not do it justice, but I will try to get a better one.

Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce (we are substituting Ribeye)

This full-flavored dish will satisfy the hardiest of appetites. Roquefort cheese would also taste terrific in the sauce.

WINE RECOMMENDATION:
Gorgonzola is salty, sharp, and assertive, which makes it tough to pair with wine. Your best bet is a straightforward red with fine acidity, such as a barbera from the Piedmont region of Italy or a Beaujolais-Villages from France.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons cooking oil

1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut in half and then sliced crosswise

1 shallot or 2 scallions including green tops, minced

3/4 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock

1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

3 ounces Gorgonzola cheese or other blue cheese

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

3/4 pound rigatoni

RECIPE METHOD

In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Season the steak with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper and add it to the pan. Brown on all sides, about 4 minutes, and remove. The meat should be medium rare.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the hot pan, along with the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and add to the steak.

Add the shallot, broth, and Worcestershire sauce to the hot pan. Cook, stirring, to dislodge any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup, approximately 5 minutes.

Add the cheese and the cream to the pan along with the steak and mushrooms and any accumulated juices, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the parsley. Simmer to heat through, about 1 minute.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until just done, about 14 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce.

Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by luvnit (Years ago I purchase...)
That rigatoni dish sounds positively excellent! I'm making the Chicken Pappardelle recipe for the first time tonight. I'm not going to make the broccolini salad for it but will make some broccoli and thrown it in.

Cucumber/red onion/red wine vinegar salad too.
  Re: Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by Trixxee (That rigatoni dish s...)
That sounds delicious, Laura.. duly copied
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by cjs (That sounds deliciou...)
Lots of good sounding meals here! I forgot to plan supper tonight. ????? So, bacon and tomato sandwiches are starting to sound good.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dinner Last Night of the Month - 1/31? by Lorraine (Lots of good soundin...)
I'm doing the Wild Salmon w/ Grapefruit Beurre Blanc tonight with some kind of potato to use a large bag up or a pasta...maybe an angel hair and a green salad. I may try Linda's Citrus vinaigrette unless somebody has a better idea to pair with this.

BTW, Laura, we love blue cheese here, so your recipe is on the menu very soon! Let us know how it turns out so I'll know if I need to add it to next weeks dinner plan.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.