February 1st Dinner??
  Re: (...)
Are we starting out the month healthy or bad??

I can't stand it anymore, I'm making Bill's Salmon with Grapefruit Beurre Blanc. I don't see anything in the recipe about skinning the salmon, but I wouldn't anyway, love to crispy up the skin on the grill and nibble on it. Since I'm braving the elements to grill the salmon, think I'll grill some veggie to go with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: February 1st Dinner?? by cjs (Are we starting out ...)
Well, we've been feeding off an evolving pot of soup all week that started out with leeks, then became a mixed vegetable soup, then by yesterday turned into a sort of minestrone. Ron is missing meat, so tonight will be pork tenderloin and some stir fried veggies. February is definately going to be a month of lighter eating for us.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: February 1st Dinner?? by Mare749 (Well, we've been fee...)
I am making a healthy Shepherd's Pie, tonight.

We ate an early dinner and this is quite good and comforting. I don't know if you use recipes with a can of soup but you could choose to use sauce instead.

I've heard points floating around so I believe some of you are doing Weight Watchers. I got this recipe off their site and I think I remember it is 5 pts per serving. I can't find it again.

-Shepherd's Pie

1st layer
1t evoo
1 pound ground round or beef ( I use ground turkey breast)
1 med onion, diced
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 c minced celery
1 can tomato soup or tomato sauce
1 1/2 t worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper

2nd layer
10 oz of froz corn, defrosted

3rd layer
2-3 c mashed potatos (made with skim milk)
1/2 c grated ff cheese

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions, garlic and celery in oil for 5 minutes. Add gr beef, stirring and cooking til meat is browned. Drain excess moisture. Add salt/pepper. Worestershire sauce and tomato sauce or tomato soup. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare mashed potatos while meat sauce simmers.

Lightly coat a 1 1/2 qt casserole with PAM. Layer casserole with meat sauce on bottom, corn in the middle, and mashed potatos on top. Sprinkle with grated cheese.

Bake 25-30 min, uncovered until bubbly.

Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: February 1st Dinner?? by cjs (Are we starting out ...)
If our streets get plowed, we'll go to the pub. I've had a hankering for beef, so I'll have the steak sandwich (hold the bread pls!). If we stay home it'll be poached eggs or something like that. Either way, I'll try to be good!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: February 1st Dinner?? by Corinne (I am making a health...)
I am having browned butter sage fettuccine with a sage rubbed fillet of beef tenderloin...have to try my special at work you know. Quality control they say...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: February 1st Dinner?? by firechef (I am having browned ...)
I don't have a plan for tonight's dinner. Hubby usually requests a steak on Friday nights, so I will make that or we'll scrounge leftovers.
  Re: Re: February 1st Dinner?? by firechef (I am having browned ...)
WE had a shop until you drop day!!!! I was gonna do a fish dinner from the Cuisine for Two Issue but Peter wanted OATMEAL!!! Do you believe that???? SOOOOOO oatmeal it was with a bagel and lox and cream cheese and the trusty banana----I had a cold cereal (not really a fan of oatmeal!!) and the other bits and pieces---was a nice change, for a change!!!

Fish tomorrow night---LONG day tomorrow with a shoot competition --- temps are to be around 95 degrees and the wind will be HOWLING-----I (we) bought some extra special sunscreen---the sun is BRUTAL----have enough with the wrinkle "thang"---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: February 1st Dinner?? by Roxanne 21 (WE had a shop until ...)
When I went to the grocery store, I forgot I was going to do steak tonight, so we're having the Chicken Parmesan Roulades with the Caesar. I guess I'll do steak tomorrow night because I intend to brave the city for a trip grocery/BB&B shopping.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: February 1st Dinner?? by Roxanne 21 (WE had a shop until ...)
Quote:

--- temps are to be around 95 degrees and the wind will be HOWLING-----

Oh my....what I wouldn't give....sigh.....

Two days ago, it was -36 F here with a hefty wind, and I walked to work, but I had so many clothes on, I was boiling! lol

We're having leftovers because it's a grocery shopping night - 3 different places...I'll need a large beverage when I get home.

TGIF, though!
  Re: Re: February 1st Dinner?? by sugarbrown ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Well, as long as I have enuf salmon for four servings, I'm going to make both sauces, I've decided - Bill's and the one from LCBO that Sharon mentioned.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com