Early Birthday Present
  Re: (...)
A good friend delivered hubby and my birthday presents yesterday. It was early, but she didn't want to get busy and forget. We have never done gifts, but I had delivered one of my cookie, cocoa, cappucino (sp?) baskets at Christmas (from the dogs and cats which she feeds and treats). I guess she decided to reciprocate.

The gifts...a large bottle of Grey Goose and a large bottle of Crown Royal. The question is, what would you make with either of these? I want to make the most of these wonderful "gifts"! I don't think vodka lemonades or crown and soda would be the best use of these goodies.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Early Birthday Present by Gourmet_Mom (A good friend delive...)
Maybe some ice and a glass and then use the resulting hangover as an excuse to take an extra day off...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by firechef (Maybe some ice and a...)
I know it's supposed to be good, but I think I need a LITTLE flavor added....LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by Gourmet_Mom (I know it's supposed...)
If you drink enough of it you will never notice...right Jean???????
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by firechef (If you drink enough ...)
MOI? and why would I know?????? (shush billy)

Doesn't this sound good???

Pennette Ala Vodka
Recipe courtesy Chef Carla Pelligrino of Rao's in Las Vegas

1/2 pound cooked ham (better to use Italian cooked ham)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 large white onions, finely chopped
1.3 quarts (700 ml) tomato sauce (or blended canned peeled Italian tomatoes)
3 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
1 quart heavy cream reduced by half (1/2 quart)
3/4 cup vodka
Salt and pepper
2 pounds penne liscie # 40 (recommended: De Cecco)

Finely dice the cooked ham and set it aside.

Place a heavy bottom sautoir or pan on medium-high flame. Add the olive oil and the butter. When the butter melts and becomes foamy add the chopped onions, let it saute until crispy, and do not let it brown.

Add the diced ham, mix it in, lower the flame and let it sweat for about 15 minutes, stir it occasionally.

Add the tomato sauce, mix it in, let it simmer for another 20 minutes, then add the parsley, simmer for 3 minutes, add the reduced heavy cream and the vodka, mix it all well and let simmer for 20 minutes

Check the consistency, simmer for other 10 minutes if you need to, season and mix in the cooked penne, let it simmer for 2 minutes and serve it HOT!!!

Procedure to cook the pasta: In a pasta-cooker or a soup pot, add 6 quarts of salted water and place it over medium-high flame. Bring the water to a boil, add the penne at once, lower the flame to medium, partially cover the pot, and let it cook for about 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, drain it and dress the pasta with your favorite sauce.
-------

Vodka Lemon-Meringue Layer Cake Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

Lemon Sponge Cake:
4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
1 lemon, zested
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
Lemon Curd:
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Citron Syrup:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon-flavored vodka

Meringue Icing:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/3 cup cold water
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon hot water

Lemon Sponge Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a bowl fitted with an electric mixer, whip the egg yolks, 1/3 cup of the sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla on medium-high speed until thick and almost doubled in volume. (The yolks will form slowly dissolving ribbons when the whip is lifted out.)

In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar, and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, being careful not to over mix. Sift half of the flour and cornstarch into the egg mixture, and gently fold to incorporate. Repeat with the remaining flour and cornstarch. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.

Turn the cake180 degrees F, and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Lemon Curd: In the top of a double boiler, or in a stainless steel bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar, and lemon juice. Place over simmering water and whisk until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until all incorporated.

Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cool, about 3 hours or overnight.

Citron Syrup: In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and vodka. Gently heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.

To assemble the cake: Slice the cake into 3 layers horizontally. Place the top layer of cake in the bottom of the springform pan and brush with 1/3 of the citron syrup. Spread 1 cup of lemon curd on top and smooth evenly. Repeat with the remaining 2 cakes layers, citron syrup and lemon curd. Refrigerate while making the Meringue Icing.

In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and cold water. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil, uncovered, until the syrup reaches the soft ball stage (240 degrees F) on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with an electric mixer until frothy. With the machine running, slowly pour the syrup down the sides of the bowl into the whites (being careful not to pour the syrup into the moving wire whisk). When all the syrup has been added, add the vanilla and continue beating until the mixture has cooled and is fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and water, and set aside.

Remove the cake from the refrigerator and unwrap. Remove the sides of the pan and spread the icing in a thin layer over the sides and top of the cake. Put the remaining icing in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and decoratively pipe rosettes on top of the cake.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Prior to serving, with a blowtorch, brown the meringue lightly.

Propane Gas Torch Warning: Propane gas torches are highly flammable and should be kept away from heat or flame, and should not be exposed to prolonged sunlight. Propane gas torches should only be used in well-ventilated areas. When lighting a propane gas torch, place the torch on a flat, steady surface, facing away from you. Light the match or lighter and then open the gas valve. Light the gas jet, and blow out the match. Always turn off the burner valve to "finger tight" when finished using the torch. Children should never use a propane gas torch without adult supervision.
------
and one more -

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/browsere...50&att=165

and for the whiskey -

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,jack_daniels,FF.html

and (oh, I'm keeping this one!!)

ROYAL HOT CHICKEN
1 jar (16oz.) of hot sauce
2 tablespoons horseradish
Cooked chicken wings
¼ cup of Crown Royal® whisky

Combine hot sauce, horseradish with Crown Royal whisky. Bring to a boil. Spoon over cooked chicken wings. Broil until crispy.

--------
and back to vodka - here's an all time favorite!!!

LEMON-LUSCIOUS ICE CREAM

Makes ~ 3 1/2 cups

4 lg. egg yolks
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
6 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
4 tsp. vodka, optional (uhhhhh, I used...)
1/2 tsp. Cobasan, optional (did not use)

Have ready near the range a strainer suspended over a medium bowl.

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, w/a wooden spoon, beat the yolks & 3/4 c. of the sugar till well blended. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, butter, & salt.

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till the mixture is thickened & resembles hollandaise sauce; it should thickly coat the wooden spoon but still be liquid enuf to pour.

The mixture willl change from translucent to opaque & begin to take on a yellow color on the back of the spoon. (196°) The mixture must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove the pan briefly from the heat, stirring constantly to keep the mixture from boiling.

When the mixture has thickened, pour it at once into the strainer.
Press w/the back of a spoon till only a coarse residue remains. Discard the residue.

In a med. bowl, combine the cream & milk. Whisk in the remaining sugar till dissolved. Whisk this mixture into the curd. Cover tightly & refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or till well chilled.

Stir in the opt. vodka & Cobasan. Freeze in an ice cream maker. Allow the ice cream to ripen for at least 2 hours before serving. It it has been held longer and is very hard, allow it to sit refrigerated or at room temp. till softened and creamy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by cjs (MOI? and why would I...)
Quote:

and (oh, I'm keeping this one!!)

ROYAL HOT CHICKEN
1 jar (16oz.) of hot sauce
2 tablespoons horseradish
Cooked chicken wings
¼ cup of Crown Royal® whisky

Combine hot sauce, horseradish with Crown Royal whisky. Bring to a boil. Spoon over cooked chicken wings. Broil until crispy.

Oh, like this is helping me fight the feeling to make those wings....LOL! I'm loosing the battle FAST!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Jean, thanks, they all look good. Copied and saved! I may not be able to wait for summer for that ice cream! Every time I see the ice cream attachment for my KA I sigh. Mother's Day isn't too far off. HMMM?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, thanks, they a...)
These all look great but are we going to have enough left to drink???
  Re: Re: Early Birthday Present by firechef (These all look great...)
Hey, I'm planning cocktails with mine. The ice cream may have to come from a different brand. But some of William's Crown may meet some hot sauce for those wings! I'll have to be REAL sneaky though! First, he knows I don't drink whiskey and second, I've already threatened him not to touch mine! But don't they just sound so goooood!
Daphne