Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review
  Re: (...)
On Saturday, we made the Ancho Chicken with yellow rice and black beans from the "For Two" book. Usually, on Saturday evenings, teenage daughter isn't around for dinner so we thought we'd try something for two. As I was doing the mies en plas she asked if her two girlfriends could join us. No problem, took 3 more chicken breasts out of the freezer and doubled the rice & beans. (Then on Sunday when I made a full dinner expecting all the family home, it was just the two of us! Oh, well.)

This was a very good and easy recipe. The spice/herb mix on the chicken before browning together with the sauce was very good. The yellow rice was a bit undercooked because I rushed it. The teenagers would have preferred white rice, but they ate it up. The beans were actually kind of blah. I'm thinking that maybe I forgot to double the garlic. Next time, I would add a bit of broth for the beans to simmer in. Cholula sauce added the kick they needed. The recipe makes plenty of sauce. Since I stretched it a bit, we have leftover sauce that we'll use to make this another time.
  Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by HomeCulinarian (On Saturday, we made...)
Thanks for the review. We eat a lot of chicken around here. That one is definately on my list.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by esgunn (Thanks for the revie...)
I debated about this one. I guess it goes on the list...which is getting long...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by Gourmet_Mom (I debated about this...)
hmmm, I'm with Daphne, it's added to the list.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by cjs (hmmm, I'm with Daphn...)
We went out running errands today - had to drop my boning knife off to get sharpened - and there was Cooking For Two on the counter! Just had to buy that and a serrated peeler, and some little Oxo 4 oz measuring cups that measure ounces and TBS. It's been a good week for me. Gawd I love Bob!!! And yes, I'm spoiled.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by Harborwitch (We went out running ...)
I just love those oxo 4 oz measuring cup. I use it all the time! Sounds like you had a good day.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by esgunn (I just love those ox...)
Voted first - then waited for Bob to have a service call and ran errands. We're going to have an easy dinner tonight and I'm considering this chicken tomorrow - but then there's a beef recipe in "The Soul of A New Cuisine" that's ringing my chimes!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by Harborwitch (Voted first - then w...)
Quote:

Then on Sunday when I made a full dinner expecting all the family home, it was just the two of us! Oh, well.

HC, Welcome to the club! I can't tell you how often this has happened to me. Thankfully, I am now down to one teen at home and he has learned not to just "bring home a guest" without notice. He has learned that I don't plan for large meals anymore without notice. Even the kids off from home know to call to let me know they are coming. At least being the third kid teaches you SOMETHING....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
We have had this too. None of mine would dream of doing this now, but it took a bit of training, not just of the kids, but DH as well. He would buy and cook for Africa, just 'in case' the kids turned up. So much waste. Even allowing l/o in the equation.
  Re: Re: Cuisine for Two - Ancho Chicken Review by vannin (We have had this too...)
Since two of the four kids live too far away to stop by for dinner, I don't have serious drop in problems. Teenage daughter's last boy friend was a fixture at dinner time. Don't really mind having extra people at the table. It's just like you said, sometimes I don't have enough on hand to feed everyone. In that case the kid shares her portion with her friend. It's all good!