Crab Quiche FLorentine
  Re: (...)
Copied from the original post - since everyone is talking about it....It took me a while to find it, but I did - I went looking for it because I had missed it the first time around.

Here's another one that I have not tried yet......but plan to.....we really need to start eating lower fat here. I'll let you know when I make this, if you want to wait for a review.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crab Quiche Florentine

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dec '96 Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Cooking spray
3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese
8 ounces lump crabmeat -- shell pieces removed and drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups coarsely chopped spinach
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/8 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 cup egg substitute
Cherry tomatoes -- quartered (optional)
1 (7-ounce) can refrigerated breadstick dough

Unroll dough, separating into strips. Working on a flat surface, coil one strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern. Add second strip of dough to the end of the first strip, pinching ends together to seal; continue coiling dough. Repeat procedure with remaining dough strips. Cover dough with a towel; let rest 20 minutes. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under; flute. Sprinkle cheese over bottom of crust. Top with crabmeat; set aside.

Preheat oven to 375º.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add spinach and next 4 ingredients (spinach through pepper); cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Arrange spinach mixture over crabmeat.

Combine milk and egg substitute; stir well with a whisk. Pour over spinach mixture. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean; let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, if desired.

Source:
"Cooking Light, December 1996, p.101"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"
T(Baking Time):
"0:45"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 257 Calories; 9g Fat (33.1% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 508mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

Suggested Wine: Sauvignon Blanc

NOTES : Place the pie plate on a baking sheet in case the filling bubbles over.

Ham-and-Cheese Quiche:
Substitute Swiss cheese for Gruyère cheese and 3/4 cup chopped reduced-fat, low-salt ham (about 1/4 pound) for crabmeat. Omit spinach, tarragon, Old Bay seasoning, and nutmeg; add 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook ham, onion, salt, and pepper 4 minutes in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Proceed with directions above.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Crab Quiche FLorentine by esgunn (Copied from the orig...)
Erin, this is it. Yummy! Don't forget to spray your pie pan...don't ask me how I know...LOL! (Only real problem was the rim...and that was very minor.) It turned out very pretty. I still think it would make a great appy. And served with champagne as Jean served it Sunday morning...heaven.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Crab Quiche FLorentine by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, this is it. Y...)
It's a wonderful, fast little dish, Erin! It sure would be a nice dish for a weeknight dinner - for those still working (or home schooling).

I just had sliced tomatoes with it and it was a nice combination along with a fruit platter.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com