So Jean......how's that tagine working out?
  Re: (...)
I've been anxious to hear all about this, Jean. Are you loving it? Is it easy to use? Please, tell all!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by Mare749 (I've been anxious to...)
Well, I'm kind of disappointed...expensive disappointment I would say. I had real concerns about whether the pan was deep enough for the food that all the recipes called for, but comparing the recipe I used to those in the manual, I figured they knew what they were talking about. I made the Chicken Tagine with Olives and Lemons that Laura posted in December.

Part of it was my fault also, I had it on very low, but evidently not low enough and I got side tracked with something or someone, I don't remember which. When I got back in the kitchen, I had liquid spewing all over h*ll. (even down the side of the stove...). But the flavors of the recipe were wonderful.

The funny thing was I watched a Nigella Lawson show last weekend that she was doing a tagine dish on and she said because of the mess, she doesn't cook her dish in the tagine, but does transfer and serve in it. So, what the heck, I'm a bit disappointed.

What I think I'll do is just make sure I only make dishes to serve the two of us and I think it will be fine. I'm trying to get away from so many leftovers anyway. For a crowd, think I'll just do a 'Nigella'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by cjs (Well, I'm kind of di...)
Thanks so much, Jean. That helps me a lot with my decision. I kind of wanted one that I saw that was made of clay and wasn't real expensive at all. And yes, it could be used for cooking as well as serving. It came in two sizes, so I think I'll opt for the larger one and even if I'm not that crazy about cooking with it, I can always use it as a serving dish.

I have to check on this, but I thought it could also be used in the oven. Edited to add: here is the link to the one I was looking at for anyone else who is interested:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/glazed...true&page=1

Also, I found a cookbook that sounds interesting as well:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/tagine...true&page=1

Maryann

Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by Mare749 (Thanks so much, Jean...)
I would still use a tangine over a standard pot for many recipes because of the lids function.

The lid is shaped the way it is to return moisture (and flavor) back to the dish. On regular pots we so often take care to remove the lid at an angle so we don't steam blast our hands/face and all that liquid is left on the lid. You could dump it back in but that's too much too fast. The tangine allows for the moisture to return slowly and evenly.

Look at a big cast iron dutch oven. Now go look at the lid. you will note that is has knobs covering the bottom. This is the same principle. Those knobs collect the moisture and distribute it evenly back to the pot.

The trick to them is low and slow. I put my burner on the lowest setting. I never let the dish come to a full boil. Once it starts simmering on goes the lid and the temp to low.
  Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by DFen911 (I would still use a ...)
Darn you, Cis!!! You buy the book, post the recipe for the Monkfish and if its good, I'll buy the darn thing too!!!

I understand the function, just don't like the mess...I'll still play with it - I'm just glad I didn't put it in the oven with nothing under it. For the chix it had to cook such a short time, thot I'd go stovetop...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by cjs (Darn you, Cis!!! You...)
That's me, Jean, not Cis. And I think I'll buy the book too. Has to wait until I get back from Florida though. I'm going to visit my brother in Orlando.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by Mare749 (That's me, Jean, not...)
Sheesh Jean, I don't know if I want to try it or not. I hate mess, and probbly wouldn't work on the wood stove part. By that I mean if it did work on the wood part, then it'd just burn off the mess, but I doubt it would, work with wood All the same they are pretty things
I too will have to put off all efforts til we return
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by farnfam (Sheesh Jean, I don't...)
Does your stove have a way to remove the burner grate and cover it with foil first? That would help with the mess.
  Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by Mare749 (That's me, Jean, not...)
Quote:

That's me, Jean, not Cis. And I think I'll buy the book too. Has to wait until I get back from Florida though. I'm going to visit my brother in Orlando.

Maryann,

When you're in Orlando, stop into Fashion Square Mall, and go to Treasures of Casablanca. They sell authentic tagines from Morocco. If you also happen to be going to Miami, check out Berber Trading Co., especially the Rifi tagine that Paula Wolfert recommends a lot. In fact, check out this thread, on another forum, where Paula gives various suggestions and comments, including, "Of all the tagines on the market, the one I like least is Le Creuset." To that, the user who had asked her about it replied, "Thanks Paula! My new unopened Le Creuset tagine is now up on Ebay." Interesting.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: So Jean......how's that tagine working out? by cjs (Well, I'm kind of di...)
Thank you Jean. Unfortunately you only validated my fear that most tagines on the market just aren't large enough for a family recipe. I have seen some really large ones that are 16"-18" across. I will keep my eyes peeled for one of those.

For now, I will use my French oven oven for the tagine recipes. I will just have to find something cone-shaped to put on my head, like a dunce cap.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura