White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it?
  Re: (...)
Okay, for Christmas I got white truffle oil. I haven't used it yet because I don't know what to do with it. I know you all would have ideas here.

What would you do with it?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it? by luvnit (Okay, for Christmas ...)
We spritzed the baked orzo with it. It would be good on/in scrambled eggs, mac & cheese, pasta. . . . . fingers
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it? by Harborwitch (We spritzed the bake...)
Oh I make fresh pasta alfredo and put a few drops of that oil on top after I plate...YUM!!!

I have also been told it's great on omelets..haven't tried that yet.
  Re: Re: White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it? by Harborwitch (We spritzed the bake...)
I spritzed it on baked potatoes. Don't use too much though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it? by bjcotton (I spritzed it on bak...)
It's wonderful added to any of these dishes and/or similar dishes -

Of course I'll start out with Truffle popcorn!!
Mushroom ragout or risotto - any mushrooms dish really, adds even more earthiness.
Fontina, Prosciutto and Caramelized Onion Pizza
Mashed potatoes
added to an Italian dressing
pasta with roasted tomatoes
mushroom, goat cheese panini
Bill's portabello 'pizza'
Osso Buco
Potato Leek Soup
and on, and on, and on...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it? by cjs (It's wonderful added...)
Okay Sharon and Billy mentioned 'spritzing'. Do you all have a special spritzer, or did yours come in a spritzer?

What is this supposed to do to the flavor? I am sure it's supposed to enhance it in some way, but what am I looking for? An earthy-woodsy-mushroom flavor?

I did taste it on my finger and was like, "?????? what's all the hubbub about?" So I think I need to try it on food.

My husband was the first to mention Truffle Popcorn. I am going make that too.

Do you store your in the fridge? Mine says to refrigerate after opening. Now it has turned to a sort of solid. I'll have to remember to let it get to room temp before I use it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it? by luvnit (Okay Sharon and Bill...)
"earthy-woodsy-mushroom" yes, earthy and woodsy.

There are a lot of 'spritzer' containers around for folks who like to really watch the amount of oil (and/or other fattening things) they add to a dish.

Tasting it on your finger isn't a fair taste. it's like tasting salad dressing on your finger - it's always too strong until mixed with greens. (by the way, that is the way to taste dressings - drag a leaf of lettuce thru it)

Truffle popcorn - Good on your husband!! It's so tasty! Can you find some truffle salt also to add to the popcorn? YUM!

I store some in the fridge and yes, when it's at room temp. it loses that solidity (is that a word?)

Hope you have a really fun time with it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: White Truffle Oil: What can I do with it? by cjs ("earthy-woodsy-mushr...)
Yes dear, that's a word!

Laura, a friend gave me a "Misto" for Christmas several years ago. You put the oil in it, pump it up and it sprays it in a fine mist over whatever you like. I usually keep olive oil in it for pans or my panini grill.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy