Moroccan Fish Tagine Recipe
  Re: (...)
I have not tried this recipe yet, but it's first on my list when I get back next week. I'll review it then, if no one else tries it before my return. It just sounded really good, especially with sea bass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: Moroccan fish tagine
Dietitian's tip: A Moroccan tagine is a slow-simmered stew named after the conical pot in which it's cooked. Although this recipe calls for a saucepan, the flavors are authentic. Serve it over steamed couscous or bulgur.

SERVES 4
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tomatoes, peeled and seeded, then diced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or broth
1 1/4 pounds red snapper or sea bass fillets cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 cup thinly sliced white mushrooms
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon finely chopped preserved lemon or grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute until soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes are tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin and paprika and simmer for 1 minute.

Carefully pour in the stock, raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the fish and mushrooms. When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the fish is opaque throughout, about 3 minutes.

Stir in the tahini, preserved lemon, parsley, cilantro and salt. Ladle into warmed individual bowls and serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis
(per serving)
Calories 289 Monounsaturated fat 3 g
Protein 38 g Cholesterol 52 mg
Carbohydrate 11 g Sodium 566 mg
Total fat 10 g Fiber 3 g
Saturated fat 1 g

Source: This recipe is one of 150 recipes collected in The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook, published by Mayo Clinic Health Information and Oxmoor House, and winner of the 2005 James Beard award.

By Mayo Clinic Staff
Nov 30, 2006
© 1998-2008 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "EmbodyHealth," "Reliable tools for healthier lives," "Enhance your life," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.
RE00069

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Moroccan Fish Tagine Recipe by Mare749 (I have not tried thi...)
The flavors sound really good Maryann - but, 4 cups of stock would probably set my tagine off spewing again.... Maybe I'll give this a try and just keep adding the hot stock to it, kind of like risotto....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Moroccan Fish Tagine Recipe by cjs (The flavors sound re...)
That could be why the writer said to use a saucepan to make this. I'm thinking a big deep skillet would be best as most tagine recipes seem to have a lot less liquid and just kind of form their own sauce. This does sound a bit soupy, doesn't it?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Moroccan Fish Tagine Recipe by Mare749 (That could be why th...)
ooops, so I guess it's to be served in the tagine. Still sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com