The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake
  Re: (...)
What would a wedding display be without a Cake? The talent of Chef Lyle McRobbie would bring a cake to life that fit the festive spirit of the rest of the shows artwork. The talent that is hidden inside this mans head is just
incredible. The kind of chef that knows a lot, but if he does not know, you only have to show him once. And by two days later he will have improved what ever you showed him.

[Image: lylecake.jpg]
Lyle spent a lot of time making the cherries, rolling fondant and assembly this cake. He did not use forms, he wanted to use cake only.

[Image: caketop.jpg]

Rolling fondant is work. It is amazing the amount of pressing and stretching that goes into building a cake like this.

[Image: fondant.jpg]

[Image: fondant1.jpg]

In the end the cake would come out beautiful. It while I was making plates this is all the over stuff going on around you in preparation for the event. I continually find myself watching these guys use the left side of their brains to create amazing things.

[Image: cake.jpg]

Then to finish it off, our own Mary Lou Lawson places it in the booth with display artistry that is duplicated by no one!

[Image: cakedsply.jpg]

And we end up with the proper cake for our wedding display! People marvel over these creations. Most will never get contracted in from one of our clients. But the display is the greatest marketing tool we have found to bring them into the booth to talk to use.

[Image: boothsidew.jpg]

This booth was one of our best. Not the biggest, not the most displays we have ever put together. But it was a great working booth. People came in and flowed through it well. We got to meet everyone that came into the booth. I still have a few more secrets to reveal from the show, but
the bulk of it is now in front of you at this point!

'Til we talk again, put together a really interesting dessert for your family, Baked Alaska comes to mind, they will love it!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake by bbally (What would a wedding...)
Wow you certainly have an interesting life Chef.
I check in on this site every now and then and I fell too intimidated to post by all the people who seem to know each other. I do enjoy all the info though!
I don't understand how they CAN"T comment on your posts. I just want to say that really like them, I am reading!
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Maggie
"There is no love sincerer than the love of food".
  Re: Re: The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake by maggiemoo (Wow you certainly ha...)
Brilliant Bob, just brilliant. As always. And thanks so much for fixing my password muckup, I really appreciate that.

Maggiemoo, don't feel intimidated, I could no more make a cake like that, or some of the other offerings shown here than I could fly to the moon on a broomstick. Come on in, the waters fine, and it is good to talk to someone with a new/different take on things.
  Re: Re: The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake by maggiemoo (Wow you certainly ha...)
Quote:

I don't understand how they CAN"T comment on your posts. I just want to say that really like them, I am reading!

Thank you, I just post them so they can be read. Does not matter if they get commented on, most end up contacting me by PM to get their questions answered.

I agree with Vannin.... just jump in and comment, no one will bite!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I love your posts too Bob! You know I do. Keep writing and I'll keep reading!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake by vannin (Brilliant Bob, just ...)
Quote:

And thanks so much for fixing my password muckup, I really appreciate that.

Anytime Lady Dale....
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake by bbally (What would a wedding...)
Bob--this cake is incredible.

Love the cherries! Hope your pastry chef won't mind if I borrow this idea for a birthday cake I am doing for a client this week!! I'll give the two of you all the credit, I promise!!!!
  Re: Re: The Grand Junction Wedding Show 2008, The Cake by Chefelle (Bob--this cake is in...)
The cherries were amazing. It was a beautiful cake. I wish I had a smidgen of that creativity when it comes to baking.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.