Recipe "challenge"
  Re: (...)
I know that none of us have good access to this ingredient but was just wondering if any of you had any recipe ideas for this fruit...DURIAN!

At the pork contest I was in the second place Chef had a fresh durian on his table and after the reception a handful of us gathered and tried it. I found it almost smoky, sweet and "custardy" all in one bite. Really thought it was cool to have tried when that same week the "daredevil try anything" guy on Travel Network got sick on TV after trying it! The same week Anthony Bourdain ate it on a repeat of his show back on Food Network and did not get sick. Ah, I handled it just fine and went back for seconds and thirds...

It was a neat flavour and texture...I too will be looking around for recipes that use this fruit. I am guessing most will be southeast Asian recipes...catch you all by Monday with some recipes to exchange. I hope...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Recipe "challenge" by firechef (I know that none of ...)
This is a good opportunity to learn something new, at least for me.

I had not heard of durian before, but I would love to try it. I found this cake recipe on the internet. Perhaps you would like to try it. I will be on the lookout for this fascinating fruit in the future!

[Image: duriancake2.jpg]

Rich Durian Cake

Here's a sinfully rich durian cake recipe that
will have friends asking for more.

Ingredients:
240g butter
225g castor sugar
4 large eggs
100g mashed durian pulp
2-3 tablespoons milk

Shifted ingredients, combined:
240g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Preparation
- Line a 23cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one
at a time. Beat in durian pulp until well blended. Fold in shifted
ingredients and enough milk to give a soft dropping batter.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake in a preheated 175c oven for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted to the center of the cake.

Enjoy!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by luvnit (This is a good oppor...)
I saw them frozen at H Mart. I'm dying to try one but wasn't sure if the consistency would be the same.

the first time I had Star Fruit, it was horrible and I didn't know what it was supposed to taste like. I didn't buy them again for years.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by Corinne (I saw them frozen at...)
Never hear of them before.

Cory, Interesting we had an H Mart open up last year or so here in Federal Way. It is a little intimidating - so many things I know nothing about. One of our local asian stores closed and I thought they had just expanded. I had no idea it was part of a Korean Grocery store chain!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by esgunn (Never hear of them b...)
From the Food Lover's Companion...

durian [DOOR-uhm, DYOOR-uhm]This larger-than-life fruit of the Malaysian tree can weigh up to 10 pounds, has a brownish-green, semihard shell covered with thick spikes, and is slightly larger than a football. To all but its Southeast Asian fans, the durian has a nauseating smell-a truth attested to by the fact that it's been outlawed by many airlines. The creamy, slightly sweet flesh, however, has an exquisitely rich, custardy texture. Fresh durian is not generally available in the United States, however, frozen, canned and preserved dried durian can be found in Asian markets.

That fill you in on the stuff Erin?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by firechef (From the Food Lover'...)
Firechef,

I have heard that they are part of the okra family. Does that help explain to us that haven't tried them the 'custard-like' center?

Just curious. When I read the okra part I instantly think of the texture of the center of those. Enlighten us with your wisdom...
Laura
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by luvnit (Firechef,[br][br]I h...)
You eat the inner "flesh" of the fruit. The one I had the pleasure of partaking in the "carving" and eating of was quite smelly although not nearly as bad as I was expecting. A very experienced and highly certified Chef was not joining in and left the room before we could start after saying he would eat anything once. The Sous Chef of the Chef with the durian was very afraid to get near it as well so I was expecting very nasty but it was a smoky and slightly pungent odor. The texture was creamy like the definition says and slightly stringy across the tongue. The flavours were a combination of smoky and sweet all at once kind of a fruity sweetness with a smokiness that made ZERO sense to the brain as you ate it. It confused the brain as you ate it.

I would love to get my hands on a few fresh ones just to introduce people to something new...due to Travel Channel and Food Network the durian has been getting some publicity of late so I figured we could all find a recipe to throw out to at least get us thinking of the likes of the rest of the world. We have some NZ types around here don't we??? They might have better access to the fresh fruit???
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by firechef (You eat the inner "f...)
This is a sign displayed in Singapore's mass transit ways. Apparently the odour of a durian can offend the senses for some.

In case you can't see it says:
No Smoking, $1000 fine...
No eating and drinking, $500 fine...
No flamable goods, $5000 fine...
No durians, priceless

[Image: 140px-Singapore_MRT_Fines.jpg]
Laura
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by firechef (You eat the inner "f...)
No durians here - the closest I have to that are the incredibly delicious guanĂ¡banas (soursop), with which durians are often confused, since they look so similar.

For comparison and contrast, see the Wikipedia articles for durian and soursop.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe "challenge" by labradors (No durians here - th...)
That looks disgusting. I too saw the guy get sick off of it. I had heard of it before...kitchencapers maybe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.