T.G.I.G. Dinner - 2/8
  Re: (...)
I have no idea what we're having - we're on our way to spend the weekend with some friends on Hoods Canal and he gets to do the cooking, but he usually lets me play too!

Have a great weekend everyone.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner - 2/8 by cjs (I have no idea what ...)
My hubby says it's kinda nice out and would like to grill some steaks. It's about 25 above here now, must be grillin weather. Right?

Anyway, he's got a hankerin' for some Jamaican Jerk Ribeyes! We made some about 6-8 months ago I think. It was after seeing Bobby Flay make this wonderful Jamaican Jerk with a Habanero pepper in it. We loved it. We didn't make the papaya relish, but maybe we will this time.

This is what is tenatively on the menu for tonight!

Here is the recipe if anyone wants it.

[Image: BT0303_Jerk_Rubbed_Rib-Eye_e.jpg]

Jamaican Jerk Ribeye with Green Papaya Relish
1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
4 green onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 to 1 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, coarsely chopped
1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
2 (1-pound, 2-inch thick) boneless rib-eye steaks
1 recipe Green Papaya Relish, recipe follows

Combine red and green onion, habanero, ginger, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and oil in a food processor and process to a thin paste.
Heat the grill or grill pan to high.

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator 20 minutes before grilling. Season rib-eye on both sides with salt and pepper. Rub both sides of each steak with the wet rub and place on the grill. Grill until golden brown and the rub has formed a crust, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip the steak over, reduce the heat to medium. Baste steaks with the rub and continue cooking to medium-rare doneness. Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Top the slices with some of the relish.

Green Papaya Relish
2 tablespoons honey
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
2 green papayas, seeded and cubed
1/2 large cucumber, cubed
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Chopped fresh mint leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Stir together the honey, lime juice, vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved in a medium bowl. Add the papaya, cucumber, bell pepper, cilantro and mint and mix until combined, season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner - 2/8 by luvnit (My hubby says it's k...)
I think we've overlapped before Laura. Today is hubby's birthday, so I picked up some rib eyes for dinner. I'll have to try the jerk recipe next time. We'll also have twice baked potatoes (They're on the first bake now.) and Insalata blu.

Oh, I forgot, "big eater employee" came home with hubby tonight, and he brought a surprise! He's out at the camp now cleaning fresh flounder and grouper. He's going to do a fish fry with the flounder at the camp tomorrow and I'll fix pecan crusted grouper with Alexander Sauce Sunday for dinner. YUM! I'm going to try a big batch of Jean's horseradish slaw and serve with both...I was not really impressed with the one I had...too much mayo and it had Basil in it. The Basil just didn't taste right with it.

"Employee" LOVES cheesecake, so I'm going to surprise him with a cheesecake tomorrow. I think he's earned one this time!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner - 2/8 by Gourmet_Mom (I think we've overla...)
We are going to have the Jamaican Jerk Ribeyes with Pineapple Rice (from Cuisine for Two - I'll review it later) and steamed green beans.

I noticed the harticorts verts are those just green beans, or are they something special? maybe someone here can tell me.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner - 2/8 by luvnit (We are going to have...)
Just green beans. Go for it! Although, could I suggest garlicky green beans/harticorts verts? Blanch, saute garlic (and thin sliced shallots if you want) in EVOO, throw in drained green beans, salt and pepper, and cook to desired tenderness. We like ours crisp tender. Do the same asparagus too! YUMMY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.