I Beg To Differ
  Re: (...)
I think it was in the last America's Test Kitchen where they said the meatloaf pans with the inserts didn't drain properly. From my own experience I can tell you that isn't true. When I bake a meatloaf in one of those pans I put two slices of bread under the insert and they suck up the grease with no problem. The holes don't clog and the grease drains away just fine. I thought I had seen an article in CAH about it, but can't find it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: I Beg To Differ by bjcotton (I think it was in th...)
I agree with you, Billy. I have one of those pans. In the beginning it did clog up but then I read the article in cuisine about meatloaf. It said to mix the meatloaf mixture with two forks to prevent density. Ever since I have been doing that, the grease drains nicely and there has been no problem with the holes clogging up. coco
  Re: Re: I Beg To Differ by coco hernandez (I agree with you, Bi...)
You tell 'em, Billy! Had one, but got rid of it, just seemed not worth washing two pans...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Beg To Differ by cjs (You tell 'em, Billy!...)
You mean you're supposed to wash the dishes? The dogs always seem to get them pretty well back to the way they were before we used them...whoops I knew I was missing something in this whole cooking thing...anyone care to come over for dinner?

On a side note the first time Holly came to my house for dinner a few years back we had a wonderful Tequila Lime Garlic Shrimp Linguine but she did the dishes after the meal...I was on crutches at the time with a knee injury...lucky for me we got the dogs shortly thereafter and have not had to wash a dish since!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: I Beg To Differ by bjcotton (I think it was in th...)
I don't use a "meat loaf pan"--I personally like to form my loaves into "free form" and bake them in flat pan/oven dish and enjoy the crusty outside on all three sides--any fat from meat is left in bottom on baking dish. Just one opinion.
Madeline
  Re: Re: I Beg To Differ by pink_eagle (I don't use a "meat ...)
That is a GREAT idea pink_eagle...I have seen it done but never tried it that way. I'll have to give that a shot at home this week since I am temporarily unemployed and have a better half all smiles at the thought of me cooking at home every night for her.

What do you use for a cooking temperature and time? Any particular recipe you like for cooking a meatloaf this way?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: I Beg To Differ by firechef (That is a GREAT idea...)

Whatever your favorite meatloaf recipe--I prefer ground chuck and ground pork--but basically for ~2 lbs of meat I actually shape into two loaves--their not "mini" but smaller than most do. I bake my loaves on an uncovered baking pan (metal or glass) for ~1 hour at 350 in the oven. Except for bottom they are slightly "crusty" all around. I love tomatoes but not a big fan of ketchup (go figure) so I use a light chili sauce and brown sugar (or whatever) baste for the last 15 minutes. Yum Yum. So now I will blow it entirely--my DH isn't especially fond of meatloaf--but my FAVORITE lunch at home is cold meatloaf slices on plain ole white bread with plenty of mustard.
Madeline
  Re: Re: I Beg To Differ by pink_eagle ([br]Whatever your fa...)
When I ran the faculty dining room, that was one of my most popular specials: cold meatloaf paninis. Always sold out. Our meatloaves were always free formed, our customers loved lots of crust.

PJ
PJ