Pad Thai
  Re: (...)
I've seen all of you rave about this, so I thought I'd add this to my menu this week. I've got this recipe, and I don't know if I got it from here or not, but I think so. Could someone tell me if it's a good one, or offer a better one? Also, since I've never had this, could you recommend a side or is this a one dish meal? Thanks.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pad Thai

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 pound rice noodles -- dry
4 cups boiling water
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili sauce -- with garlic
10 ounces chicken breast -- thinly sliced
1/4 cup garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons ginger -- minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts -- unsalted, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup scallions -- bias-cut
1/4 cup cilantro -- coarsely chopped
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cup carrots -- peeled and julienned
1/4 cup peanut oil -- or canola oil, divided

Soak dry rice noodles in boiling water for 10–15 min. When the water’s cool, separate any clumps with your fingers. Drain; set aside. Slice peeled carrot into julienne sticks about 2" long. Don’t lose your mind trying to make them perfect—just get them in the ballpark.

Combine all marinade ingredients whisking them in a small bowl and set aside. Now, slice partially frozen chicken breast into thin strips.

Add chicken to marinade; set aside. Combine minced aromatics; set aside.

Combine garnish ingredients; set aside.

Prepare bean sprouts; peel and julienne carrots.

Heat the wok over high heat. Add 2 T. oil to wok, stir-fry chicken, and remove. Add 1 T. oil and aromatics. Add 1 T. more oil, and stir-fry carrots 2 min. Add noodles, reserved chicken, and marinade to wok. Toss it all together using two spoons—like you’re tossing a salad. Turn off the heat and add the bean sprouts. Transfer Pad Thai to a serving platter and sprinkle the garnish over the top—use it all! The flavor, texture, and color make this dish.

Source:
"Cuisine, February 1999, Issue 13, p. 12"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 655 Calories; 31g Fat (41.0% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 79g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 38mg Cholesterol; 402mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :
The bean sprouts will wilt a little from the carry-over heat, but will still add crunchy texture to the dish.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pad Thai by Gourmet_Mom (I've seen all of you...)
I've never had it either, Daphne. Let me know how it turns out.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pad Thai by Gourmet_Mom (I've seen all of you...)
Daphne--we did an awesome Pad Thai at work on Thursday. Sold out in half an hour flat. Unfortunately I left the recipe at work. If you don't need it right away I can pick it up tomorrow and post it tomorrow night. Let me know.
  Re: Re: Pad Thai by Chefelle (Daphne--we did an aw...)
Hi Debbie! That would be great...I'm just putting together my menu for next week and wanted to try this out. What did you guys put on the menu with it...or does it stand alone?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pad Thai by Gourmet_Mom (Hi Debbie! That wou...)
Daphne, the recipe which you posted looks quite good. Personally I would add some very thinly sliced red bell pepper. I'm not sure about the ketchup, though, but it must have been added for a reason!

And, no, you don't have to serve it with anything since it's meant to be a 1-dish meal (has the noodles, chicken, and veggies).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Pad Thai by foodfiend (Daphne, the recipe w...)
Thanks for the tips Vicci! I was thinking that was the case, but thought I'd check. I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks to you, I just finished my meal plan for next week and can print my grocery list! ONWARD! To the next dozen or so things to do today!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pad Thai by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the tips ...)
When I worked at Wolfgang Puck's, their chicken pad thai was my favourite dish. It's pretty much a meal in itself - no sides.

Here's a link to a recipe for the shrimp version, from a book about Disney and Orlando recipes: http://www.luxurydisneyguide.com/recipe_...thai.shtml
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pad Thai by labradors (When I worked at Wol...)
Ours was a shrimp pad thai served on rice noodles. It is indeed a meal unto itself.
  Re: Re: Pad Thai by Chefelle (Ours was a shrimp pa...)
Debbie, be sure to post yours. I'm betting I'll have the ingredients for either recipe and I'm not making it until Sunday.

Labs, thanks for the site for comparison. Copied and saved, but it looks very involved. Is this just like the one you fixed when you were at Wolfgang Puck's? I'm guessing, yes.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pad Thai by Gourmet_Mom (Debbie, be sure to p...)
Mine isn't much different than the one Labradors posted. The only big difference would be we didn't use the tofu.