IKEA Meatballs
  Re: (...)
OK, don't laugh at me! But I bought a bag of frozen swedish meatballs at IKEA. I'm not really sure what possessed me to do that, other than trying to simplify weeknight dinners because of the dreaded nightly third grade homework my son likes to drag out for as long as possible. Moms, you know what I'm talking about!

Anyway, the meatballs are precooked, just need to be heated. I'm looking for a sauce to make for them that wouldn't involve the drippings from the meatballs because there won't be any!

Any ideas you guys? Oops, wanted to add, these are Swedish meatballs.
  Re: IKEA Meatballs by Trixxee (OK, don't laugh at m...)
Quote:

...I bought a bag of frozen swedish meatballs at IKEA.

Does that mean they're overpriced, made of wood, and you have to assemble them yourself?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: IKEA Meatballs by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Spaghetti & Meatballs??
Oh Erin - hope she sees this. I think it's a [Email]c@h[/Email] issue that she makes gobs of meatballs and uses them in four or five different ways????

I'll go look for it....

Well, I didn't find it using a search for meatballs - but did run across one thread with this gravy to go with meatballs - I won't add the meatball recipe since that's covered.

Brown Gravy

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Butters-Gravies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE GRAVY
Deglaze with; Stir in:
4 cups beef broth -- divided
1 tablespoon beef base (not bouillon)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
salt and freshly ground black pepper -- to taste

Deglaze the skillet the meatballs were sauteed in with 3 1/2 cups broth, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in beef base and bring to a boil over medium heat.

Meanwhile, whisk flour and Kitchen Bouquet in a cup with remaining 1/2 cup broth. Add this mixture to the simmering broth, stirring constantly. Cook 5 minutes, skimming if necessary, then season with salt and pepper. Pour gravy over meatballs in the Dutch oven, cover pot, and braise 35-40 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome, Issue 65, October 2007, pg 8"
Yield:
"3 cups"
---

hope this helps.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: IKEA Meatballs by Trixxee (OK, don't laugh at m...)
I'm here! We have bought their meatballs before - If you can get back to the store, they also sell the gravy to go with the meatballs... I would think any creamy gravy sauce would go. They would also go well in this recipe, I make it and we like it. My hubby is not as crazy about the different texture the meatballs bring rather than sirloin, but hey - for a quick easy meal...that the kids enjoy...He can deal with it, the flavor is good.

It is from the foodsaver site - so that is all the reference to frozen or sealed bags. Just make sure you thaw your meatballs first before making the sauce.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Meatball Mushroom Stroganoff

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish Beef

30 Traditional Meatballs (one FoodSaver® Bag)
3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons flour
1 3/4 cup beef or chicken broth (one 14.5oz can)
1/3 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Hot cooked noodles

Thaw meatballs in refrigerator overnight, or immerse sealed bag in cold
water until meatballs are thawed, or cut corner of bag and defrost in
microwave on defrost setting for 6 to 8 minutes or until meatballs are
slightly soft.

Heat butter in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.

Add mushrooms and onion.

Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in flour until combined.

Add broth.

Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until sauce is thickened.

Stir in meatballs, sour cream and mustard.

Cook over medium heat until meatballs are heated through.

Serve over hot cooked noodles.

Source:
"FoodSaver"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.foodsaver.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?CAT=1#1"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Use beef broth or chicken broth for the creamy mushroom sauce.
Serve with steamed green beans or peas.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: IKEA Meatballs by esgunn (I'm here! We have...)
Oh, another note - I do not use 30 meatballs in this recipe. I think my meatballs must be bigger than what they had originally called for. I think I use enough meatballs for 4 servings - If I remember right the recipe makes between 4 and 6 servings.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: IKEA Meatballs by esgunn (Oh, another note - I...)
Trixxee, somewhere recently I brought up a discussion of meatballs and I THINK I posted the recipe for Sharon's "Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs". This was VERY good...great flavors and nice thick sauce. I serve it with egg noodles and the family loved it! Heck, I was going to have you look for it, but that would be mean since I can post it again easily...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
1 cup Milk -- evaporated milk, or cream
1 3/4 cups chopped onion
2 cloves garlic -- minced
3 tablespoons butter
1 3/4 pounds ground beef -- or ground beef and pork, or ground chicken or turkey.
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 egg
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 teaspoons dill weed
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
salt to taste
6 tablespoons butter -- divided
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon dillweed
1 pound egg noodles

Combine bread and milk in a large mixer bowl and let soak until the liquid is absorbed.

Saute onions and garlic in butter just until soft.

Combine ground beef through salt in the mixer bowl the bread crumbs are in, adding the onions & butter. Using paddle attachment combine until well mixed.

Melt 3 TBS butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Shape meatballs and cook turning until done. Remove to bowl and keep warm until all the meatballs are done adding more butter as needed.

When all the meatballs are cooked add 3TBS butter or enough to the drippings to make 4 TBS. Add 4TBS flour and cook over medium heat.

Heat 2 cups milk and stir into roux until smooth. Add 1/4 tsp ground cardamom and 1 tsp dillweed, and salt & fresh ground pepper to taste. Return meatballs to sauce and heat through. Serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

S(Internet Address):
"http://forums.cooking.com/showthread.php?t=2821"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 759 Calories; 46g Fat (54.5% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 212mg Cholesterol; 313mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 7 Fat.

NOTES : 2-7-08 The sauce was very thick even after adding some chicken broth. I'm not sure if my ratio of fat to flour was accurate or not, so I will experiment next time. Maybe more milk. But VERY good. Do again!

Thanks again Sharon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: IKEA Meatballs by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, somewhere r...)
Thanks! As usual, you guys are so helpful.

You know, I did buy a packet of the IKEA gravy/sauce mix the the picture looks so fake that I'm afraid of it. LOL.
  Re: Re: IKEA Meatballs by Trixxee (Thanks! As usual, y...)
I had never heard of IKEA until this thread and low and behold I see THREE tv commercials for IKEA. Don't think we have any near here but I still had the pleasure of knowing more about the company.

I am sure a Swedish Meatball sauce recipe is around here somewhere...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: IKEA Meatballs by firechef (I had never heard of...)
Well low and behold here is a cream sauce for Swedish Meatballs...

Cream Sauce for Swedish Meatballs
This is from the cookbook 'Ikea's Real Swedish Food Book'.

1/8 pint cream
1/4 pint beef stock
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce, to taste
1 tablespoon white flour
1 tablespoon water
salt to taste
white pepper to taste

1. Swirl out the pan with boiling beef stock.
2. Add the cream.
3. Add the flour mixed with approx 1 tablepoons of water.
4. Add the seasonings.
5. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
6. Serve with Swedish meatballs.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: IKEA Meatballs by firechef (Well low and behold ...)
Thanks for the recipe. I did make a sauce that very closely resembles esgunn's. You know, the meal turned out pretty darn good considering they were pre-made meatballs. I was a little leary but it worked - and my husband had leftovers for lunch yesterday.