Espagnole and Smaller Sauces
  Re: (...)
Our cooking friend, Don from Portland, wants to learn sauces, so this weekend we’re going to work on one of the mother sauces, Espagnole and its smaller sauces. I’m making the basic brown stock and then the Espagnole sauce and wait for him to be here to make the Demiglaze and work on to the small sauces. I’m thinking I’ll have some steaks and chicken thawed out and we can just have a taste testing of the sauces – here’s what we'll choose probably 6-8 from:

Bordelaise
Marchand de Vin
Robert
Charcutiere
Chasseur
Diable
Madeira
Perigueux (this one calls for truffles, but if we make it maybe we can play with truffle salt and/or truffle oil - unless Don wants to pop for truffles.... )
Port Wine
Italian
Mushroom
Bercy
Piquante
Lyonnaise

Started out with a huge problem – I forgot to tell Roy to make sure the beef bones were cut in 3 – 4” lengths. He brought home some real hummers. Meat saw, hack saw, cleaver – nothing was working, so had to resort to an impeccably cleaned table saw. But, even that was precarious, think about holding those slippery little devils safely away from the blade. Finally, between the table saw and a wedge, we managed to get usable sizes.

They are in the oven roasting, then the mirepoix will be roasted and the brown stock will begin. And the adventure goes on. This should be a lot of fun.

If this tome turns out to be too darn long, I’ll just post it on the blog for anyone interested. (And, if anyone has any suggestions and/or questions about this adventure, please let me know.)

We can all learn together.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Espagnole and Smaller Sauces by cjs (Our cooking friend, ...)
Sounds like a wonderful lesson plan! I wish I could be there. Makes me want to take a class.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Sounds like tons of fun - lucky Don.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I remember the mother and small sauce course, that was loads of fun! It's good to have a refresher, I'll be following along

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Espagnole and Smaller Sauces by pjcooks (I remember the mothe...)
I'll be following along as well! What fun! I wish I could be there for real! But cyber experimentation can be fun, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Espagnole and Smaller Sauces by Gourmet_Mom (I'll be following al...)
Oh Jean I'm glad you guys didn't hurt yourself! those bones can be tricky

What a fun day of sauces! I just bought a book all about sauces because school only really covers the 5 mother sauces and I knew there was a lot more out there to enjoy.

Wish I could be up there with you!!
I love sauces--we have marchand de vin, mushroom, and Italian frozen--can't wait for your lessons (let's just use truffle oil).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Espagnole and Smaller Sauces by Old Bay (I love sauces--we ha...)
hey I want to join in too!

Please start the lesson - I would love to learn about sauces.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Espagnole and Smaller Sauces by mjkcooking (hey I want to join i...)
Sauces are the most important parts of so many dishes.

Although I know the general information about the mother sauces, etc., I have never studied them formally or closely, and would love to see a good, detailed discussion here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Espagnole and Smaller Sauces by labradors (Sauces are the most ...)
O.K. I'll let you all know how the 'small' sauces go. I've never made them all either and certainly never at one time to compare them all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com