Recent Vacation Notes
  Re: (...)
Hi Everyone,
I sure have missed all the fun that’s been happening on the forum. I hope to be able to “catch up” this week and be back in the swing of things.

I just want to share the highlights of our trip that we were on recently. Ron and I were celebrating our 34th anniversary and took a cruise with Royal Caribbean for 11 nights. We flew to San Juan and boarded the ***** on January 14. On the days that followed we went to St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Margarita Island (just off Venezuela) then Curacao, Aruba, and back to San Juan.

We like to snorkel, so we went on three excursions and they were all great. We saw giant sea turtles in Barbados, beautiful coral reefs and colorful fish in Curacao, and a German shipwreck (the Antilles) just off the shores of Aruba. The other days we either went shopping while in port, or took a taxi to a beach and enjoyed the sunshine and warm weather. Most of the time it was between 85 and 89 degrees, but always with a wonderful breeze.

When we got back to San Juan on January 25, we went on a tour of Old San Juan and had an authentic meal at our taxi driver’s favorite restaurant. He got us to the airport in time for our 5:30 flight. I enjoyed Old San Juan and it was much nicer and cleaner than it had been 3 years ago. There is a lot of building going on there. The Puerto Rican people that we were in contact with were very friendly and most gracious.

On Thursday, February 7, I flew to Florida, to visit my brother who lives in Winter Park, a suburb or Orlando. Friday, we went to St. Augustine for the day and had a very nice lunch at the Casa Monica Hotel. I had crab cakes that were plated with a warm cooked spinach salad that was dressed with a Greek dressing. That night, we went to Daytona Beach and had dinner at the Chart House Restaurant, which is actually a chain restaurant, but it was very, very good. There I had baked stuffed flounder with rice pilaf, a salad, and key lime pie. Saturday, we went to the outdoor farmer’s market in Winter Park and also Fashion Square Mall, so I could look at tagines at the store that Labs recommended. They did not have the one I wanted, so we left empty-handed, but it was still fun.

Sunday morning after church and a huge breakfast at my brother’s favorite restaurant, we went to the Morse Museum to see the Tiffany glass collection of windows, lamps, pottery, and paintings. It was wonderful and I really enjoyed it. The rest of our time was spent with my brother’s new girlfriend and soon to be fiancé. She has a wonderful family and we fell in love with all of them, but most of all my future sister-in-law. Rena made us a wonderful Italian dinner on Sunday and on Monday morning at 5:30, my brother took me to the airport. My flight was delayed, but I finally got home around 12:30.

So, my winter travels are over and I’ll be going back to work soon, I hope. It’s been a wonderful extended vacation, but I need and want to work for a while yet. I’m also looking forward to catching up on all the good things that are happening on the forum.
I’ll try to upload a few pictures to show all of you. The first one is on the beach in St. Maarten.

[Image: StMaarten2008.jpg]

This is a picture of me in Curacao.

[Image: Curacao2008.jpg]

Re: Recent Vacation Notes by Mare749 (Hi Everyone,[br]I su...)
What fun! We're planning a 25th anniversary trip to Italy in 2011. A cruise sure sounds nice, though!
  Re: Re: Recent Vacation Notes by HomeCulinarian (What fun! We're pla...)
What a wonderful vacation! I am so jealous! I can't wait to hear more.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Maryann,

What a wonderful time you must have had. Oh, to get a little heat right about now...Oh well.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We can live vicariously through your travels. The cruise sounds great and the pictures are georgeous!

When I first met my husband his grandparents lived in Winterpark. Don't remember too much of the area - but we did visit 2 or 3 times before they moved. It was a very nice area.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Recent Vacation Notes by esgunn (Maryann, [br][br]W...)
Oh my what a nice way to break up winter!! Sounds wonderful, Maryann!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recent Vacation Notes by cjs (Oh my what a nice wa...)
I'm insanely jealous! We were going to try to get away too, but we have to spend alot of money on the house this winter, and, in view of the incredible shrinking economy, I'm not inclined to spend any extra money. Hubby is still looking at PR, so there may be something for a few days. Sounds like a wonderful trip.
  Re: Re: Recent Vacation Notes by lxxf (I'm insanely jealous...)
What a wonderful anniversary celebration! Curacao is beautiful!
Cory

I am not the model.
That just looks like so much fun! Bob's daughter lives in Florida - and keeps asking us to visit. One of these days. . . . . we'll head for sunshine instead of snow and hospitals!

I'm looking forward to more details and pictures!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Recent Vacation Notes by Harborwitch (That just looks like...)
How lovely to be able to put a face to the name. Marvelous pictures. More More...
What a wonderful (and well deserved) time you must have had! You look so relaxed and happy I visited St Augestine when I was 10, I think, that trip made such an impression on me I still can remember how I felt visiting all those historic sites.

I'm glad you're back, I've missed you! If you can post any more pictures, that would be great, I've just had too much winter

PJ
PJ