Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce
  Re: (...)
Laura (luvnit), Thank you! We had this for a planned dinner this week, but I managed to wrangle a way to have it for Valentine's Dinner. What a nice change of pace and an easy dinner for me since I've been sick and still worked a full day at school. I was still able to come home an throw this together and feel like I'd done justice to the holiday! Here's my review....

We had this recipe tonight and were very impressed. It was a quick and easy dish, and served with a simple salad. This is a keeper! It is so easy and cost effective! I used what is now called "silver skin" sirloin...the tender part of the meat. It is little known and low priced at the moment. I have even used it for a regular grilled application with GREAT success. I hope the price stays down.

As a side note...DD called this afternon for my Alexandar Sauce. I had passed my first batch of "silver skins" on to her when she was here Tuesday. Since she and BF are on a budget, they decided the best thing to do was to fix a nice dinner at home. She opted to grill the sirloin on her new Lodge grill pan, then serve with Alexandar Sauce and a Caesar Salad (her favorite). I emailed the Alex. sauce to her, but have not heard back. That is a good thing. She only had to purchase a few shrimp (not using crab) and the mayo for the Creamy Caesar. For that little bit, she should have been able to put on a pretty darn good Valentine Dinner. Funny thing...the BF is a NY Italian that loves to cook...LOL! They're working it out....slowly! The kitchen is small, but they're working on it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Laura (luvnit), Than...)
Hey Mom why does sis get the Alexander Sauce recipe but not me?

What about Laura's recipe??? Am I not a special enough "son" to share recipes with? I'd love to compare the recipe to my Gorgonzola Fettuccine Alfredo with Balsamic Glazed Beef Medallions...

Glad dinner went well and hope "sis's" went well too!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by firechef (Hey Mom why does sis...)
Well, my son, ask and ye shall recieve!

The sauce is pretty basic, but we LOVE it on steak, lobster, and pasta. It is sooo yummy! I am sure there are many versions, but this is the one I've had the best results with......

* Exported from MasterCook *

Alexander Sauce (cream sauce with crab and shrimp)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 tbsp unsalted butter -- divided
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 tbsp flour
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup small shrimp -- uncooked
5 oz crabmeat -- white lump

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the cream and clam juice. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. In another saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the shrimp and cook about 2 minutes. Add the crabmeat and cook about 1 minute. Stir into cream mixture.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/26830"

Notes: I have used just crab and just shrimp for this recipe with good results every time. I had a friend serve me a filet with a topping similar to this years ago and he would never share. Shame on him...I found it and use it for special meals. This was the family highlight of xmas Eve dinner. The whole family hopes to use it to make a steak dinner special in the future.

For Laura's Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce

Recipe By :Laura
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 pound sirloin steak -- cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper -- freshly ground
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms -- stems removed, caps cut in half and then sliced crosswise
1 shallot -- minced or 2 scallions including green tops
3/4 cup chicken broth -- or homemade
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 ounces gorgonzola cheese -- or other bleu cheese
1/2 cup evaporated milk -- heavy cream in original
2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley -- chopped
3/4 pound rigatoni

In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Season the steak with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper and add it to the pan. Brown on all sides, about 4 minutes, and remove. The meat should be medium rare.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the hot pan, along with the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and add to the steak.

Add the shallot, broth, and Worcestershire sauce to the hot pan. Cook, stirring, to dislodge any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup, approximately 5 minutes.

Add the cheese and the cream to the pan along with the steak and mushrooms and any accumulated juices, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the parsley. Simmer to heat through, about 1 minute.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until just done, about 14 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce.

Description:
"This full-flavored dish will satisfy the hardiest of appetites. Roquefort cheese would also taste terrific in the sauce."
Source:
"Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved."

Notes: If you love gorgonzola, you'll love this! This is a recipe that maximizes flavor with a FEW ingredients. I can also make it in a short amount of time and feel like I made a gourmet meal. We will make this again! A little cheese goes a long way!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Well, my son, ask an...)
Thank you!

*For those of you that did not recognize my approach it was the "Why does Sis get stuff and I don't" sibling rivalry approach!

BTW-IT WORKED! In case you didn't notice!

Thanks again...Laura's recipe is different than mine. If everyone wasn't sleeping I'd turn on the lights and find my similar but different recipe. Love sauces so I'll make sure to try this one soon!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Well, my son, ask an...)
BTW, I'm assuming you've made the Alexander Sauce before by another name. If you have not made the Alexander Sauce in any form...Try it...You'll WOW them for sure! This is a killer sauce!

My favorites...on steaks or pecan crusted grouper (or other firm fish)!

BTW, there is a crab leg saute Jean found on a FL site I found that is awesome. It doesn't make sense to have a cream sauce (to me) with "whole crab legs" but after trying it...OMG! It reminds me of the Alexander Sauce, but it's a one pot meal!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, I'm assuming yo...)
I've done Alexander Sauce but always from someone else's recipe. Never made it "on my own" in the professional setting so this will go in the very full 4" binder of sauces and seasonings and rubs and marinades.

I have SIX 4" binders full of recipes. Plus my cook books and magazines! Then there is the internet...
  Re: Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by firechef (I've done Alexander ...)
Psst...did you notice I am an "enthusiast" around here now! That is why I am so "enthusiastic" as well! Hehehe!

Think anyone else will join us in this thread or do you think they are afraid of us????
  Re: Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by firechef (Psst...did you notic...)
Hey just try it out...let me know!

Hey, I'm an addict already...lol!

Afraid, I hope not! This is such a friendly site! I can't imagine anyone feeling intimidated. If so, I want to say, I am such a "goomer" cook, I just pretend to be "gourmet". If it weren't for you and others on here, I'd be a simple southern cook...serving simple gravy laden meals...over and over.

LJ, thanks for the reminder! The people on here are what makes this site so much fun for me...trying new tastes! Thus I come back to oure BookClub review..LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Hey just try it out....)
I don't think anyone here is intimidated but your family grew...having Mom in your name here left you wide open to the post tonight! Then again I started that on another site...

Hope everyone realizes that this isn't just a "family" thread and all are welcome...?

BTW-I don't think rehab will help with this "addiction" and if it would I would not go! This is one addiction I wouldn't want to kick!
  Re: Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Laura (luvnit), Than...)
Thanks for the review Daphne! I think my hubby would love this - red meat and pasta witha "sauce" he will feel like he died and went to heaven, the only way it could be better for him is if you could sneak in french fries and ketchup! Just kidding - well, halfway...

Ok, you two, keep it calmed down..., we are a happy family - but you choose to play when everyone is off to bed...now that is just not playing fair!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.