Small Sauces
  Re: (...)
My poor old island was just cringing under the weight of all the food on it last night. I had custard cups of different side dishes to taste with the sauces along with steak and chicken - we ate till we just could hardly move.

Side dishes -
Parmesan-Leek Bread Pudding
Butternut Squash & Leek Gratins
Couscous & Feta Cakes (hadn't made this before, it's a nice side dish)

The whole point of this weekend was to help Don try sauces - but we got kind of taken over by friends and neighbors. The couple we visited last weekend showed up after hearing what we were doing (and to also look at condos as they want to move to P.A.), our little realtor friend, who is single ended up hitting it off with Don... so she stayed, our old Irish-labor-union-negotiator-(from Chicago no less)-outrageously-unpolitically-correct neighbor held court for a while and Roy, Don & I. It's a wonder we got anything accomplished!

The sauces we did get made before giving in to the drinking and eating were - all had different amounts of demiglaze added to them.

Bordelaise - Reduce by 3/4: 1 c. dry red wine, 2 oz. chopped shallots, crushed peppercorns, pinch of thyme, bay & demi, finished with a swirl of 2 oz. butter. (did not have beef marrow to garnish the sauce, darn it.)

Marchand de Vin - reduce red wine and shallots by 3/4; add demi, and strain.

Robert - 4 oz. shallots in butter, add 1 c. white wine & reduce by 2/3; add demi - simmer, strain & add dry mustard and pinch of sugar disolved in little lemon juice.

Charcutiere - Garnish Robert Sauce with sour pickles, cut julienne (used cornichons)

Mushroom - sliced mushrooms and shallots in butter; add demi; add sherry and few drops lemon juice.

Italian - mushrooms, shallots in butter; add white wine and reduce; add tomato paste and demi finish with chopped parsley.

I cooked a chicken and three steaks and had a huge platter of sliced meat so we could taste everything. We all had different favorites - mine was the Charcuterie, the cornichons sprinkled over the sauce was just wonderful flavor combination - on the chicken and the beef (not to mention the sides)

For dessert - Lemon ice cream and the molten cakes - I've had trouble with the recipe I make before, so I'll be looking over the ones posted somewhere...for another favorite.

And, the upshot of the day - our friends are making an offer on the condo just up the hill from us - and Julie will be joining Don (and us) for dinner again Sunday night.

Come Monday night, I'm crashing - as my grandmother used to do, she'd go to bed for two days after company left...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Small Sauces by cjs (My poor old island w...)
This is amazing Jean! Did you take pictures? Sounds like a really fun night. I hope they're taking you out to dinner tonight...LOL!

More friends added to the neighborhood sounds exciting. You have such a great bunch of neighbors already.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Small Sauces by Gourmet_Mom (This is amazing Jean...)
I couldn't even find the camera in the mess that was my kitchen...

We're off to Central market today and no telling what we'll bring home for dinner, well probably seafood. crabcakes, mussels, found a recipe to try for a lump crab salsa that sounds good. and maybe those sweet potato fries that are so good...God only knows what we'll come up with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Small Sauces by cjs (I couldn't even find...)
I hope you can describe the flavours and am actually glad you didn't have the camera...if I lick this screen one more time Holly will not let me in any culinary forums!

Enjoy and keep us posted on the seafood. Doing any sauces for that?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Small Sauces by firechef (I hope you can descr...)
Oh Jean that sounds like one of the best projects! You made my mouth water because I remember making those sauces in class and so loved them!

How did you prepare the meats? Were they grilled, roasted etc?

Maybe next late spring Derek and I will bring the motorcycle up and stay near by so we can play
  Re: Re: Small Sauces by DFen911 (Oh Jean that sounds ...)
And of course, you are stopping by here for a "play-date" too!!

Oh Jean that sounds like so much fun. The sauces sound wonderful - we'll have to give that a shot one of these days.

I'd sure love to meet someone in this neighborhood - but the "for sale" signs are poppin' up faster than toast in a diner on Sunday morning. Every weekend it seems that there's a U-haul truck in one or two driveways.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!