SUMMER HAS ARRIVED!
  Re: (...)
Well not really...today we are expecting to be at or just above freezing for the first time since the week of New Year's Day! It is going to feel like summer as I am sure Laura can relate up in Minnesota...32F is balmy compared to the -27F I awoke to the other morning.

On the other hand it will be short lived I see. This is what is coming tonight and tomorrow...

A BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING.

A NORTHWEST WIND WILL INCREASE SUNDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE
THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS. EXPECT SUSTAINED SPEEDS OF 25 TO
35 MPH...WITH GUSTS AROUND 50 MPH AT TIMES...WHICH WILL CREATE
SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ARE
LIKELY AT TIMES...ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS. TOTAL SNOWFALL
AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE EXPECTED BY SUNDAY EVENING.

PRIOR TO THE EXPECTED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS SUNDAY...FREEZING RAIN
WILL SPREAD NORTH INTO INTO PARTS OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN IOWA
LATE THIS EVENING...THEN CHANGE OVER TO SNOW BY SUNRISE SUNDAY.
ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TO TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH ARE POSSIBLE
THROUGH TONIGHT...ACROSS AREAS FROM AUDUBON...THROUGH FORT DODGE
AND BOONE...TO WAVERLY.

A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING OR
BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES.
THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY
DANGEROUS...IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST
FORECASTS.

Yippy skippy! Can't wait for this one to come in!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by firechef (Well not really...to...)

let's hope that one blows over soon!!!!

ah the flat lands - my mom still lives in Bonaparte in the southeastern

part of Iowa. and she hasn't been out since November - such a bad

winter.

Hope to see the Daffy's soon. and the Tulips

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by mjkcooking ([br]let's hope that ...)
Oh my the southeastern part of the state is under the gun for another 12 plus inches! I have not made it to any of the Tulip festivals...Story City is about half a hour from here and has a big one. Last year we had an early warm spell and then a late March snow storm that buried my neck of the woods and killed off all of the flowers.

It is sunny now with blue skies...I don't mind the snow and wind it is just the ICE before all of it. Makes it likely that the power will go out and then we are stuck 25 miles from civilization. Might send Holly and the baby to her mother's up in Fort Dodge later in case of any power outages. I can always go up and pick them up Monday. Holly isn't worried but I like to be prepared...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by firechef (Oh my the southeaste...)
I'm glad your having a nice day LJ! I can't get over the rough winter the midwest is having...crazy! I won't torture you by telling you what the weather is like here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by Gourmet_Mom (I'm glad your having...)
I just cannot imagine living some place that cold. I sure hope that storm doesn't linger too long. But that weather would sure inspire me to make some chowders, stews and bread.
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by DFen911 (I just cannot imagin...)
It would me but when the lights go bye bye and the house shakes in the wind you just snuggle up and keep warm. Last year in a storm we lost power for three or four days. It dropped to 58F in the house and after 24 hours the towns water pumps from the water tower died due to the lack of power and limited battery back up.

That storm gave us about 6 to 8 inches and led to snow drifts TWO STORIES TALL! The roads in and out were closed and the Salvation Army, Red Cross, National Guard and power company could not get to us for days. When the winds finally dropped a bit the Army flew in equipment and people to restore our power!
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by firechef (It would me but when...)
OMG! That is just scary! Do you have a backup generator? I sure hope the storm coming you way doesn't leave you all stranded again
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by firechef (It would me but when...)
Yeah, it was a balmy 27°F yesterday morning, but got up to a steamy 50°F by late afternoon. This morning was a balmy 29°F and I don't know yet what this afternoon's temp will be. Glad I'm here and not there!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by bjcotton (Yeah, it was a balmy...)
The "good" news is that we are now expecting 3 to 6 inches of snow and it is a Blizzard Warning and it now starts tonight and they threw in an ice advisory for overnight...the sun is still shining so it can't be all bad.

Any word from Mr. Old Bay Bill? He is at the southern end of this storm with severe thunderstorms and the likes...hope all in the path of this beast of a winter storm stay safe!
  Re: Re: SUMMER HAS ARRIVED! by firechef (The "good" news is t...)
MORE!?!? Good luck all! Stock up and stay safe! I'll be checking the weather channel regularly tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.